Question CPU and GPU usage drops with mouse movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2019
I got this PC over 2 weeks ago now and have been trying to resolve this issue. When I move my mouse while i'm in game
there is either FPS Lag, stutters, or inconsistency. The specific type of lag/stutter issue varies per game, I mostly test
in apex legends because the worst lag occurs there.

Here's a video of the lag: https://streamable.com/tfuet

Here's a picture of my CPU and GPU usage while in game normally and during mouse movements:
Through testing I've found things that make the lag & stutters worse and better, but none of these FIX the issue:
- Having teamspeak opened (yes just teamspeak open) can make apex legends go from stuttering to completely dropping frames
like in the video above.

- Having an overlay on will impact the amount of lag, for instance having Origin Overlay enabled causes more lag than when it's
disabled. (This only affects when the mouse is moving)

- Lowering my mouses hertz / polling rate does lessen the stutter/lag but doesn't get rid of it.

Here's a list of things that I have tried that haven't helped:
  • Trying different mouses (Logitech G PRO, Zowie EC2-B, Glorious Odin)
  • Complete wipe of drives & reformat. Reinstall of windows 10
  • Uninstall and reinstall of GPU Drivers (I used DDU)
  • Tried differnt USB Ports
  • Delete USB Hubs and restart PC
  • Update Chipset driver
  • Tested different ram (Corsair Vengeance LPX)
  • Tried changing from Default Standard Chipset Controller to Intel 300 series Chipset Controller
  • Many windows tweaks (High battery usage, Disable XBOX Game Bar/Game DVR, disabling high precision event timer)
I believe that it seems like the issue is some sort of program or configuration that is poorly handling the controller movement of the PC. I've looked for
things running, changed mouse settings & tweaked anything i've found that could relate but haven't been able to figure it out.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for me to tryout please let me know, this has been the most frustrating thing and unfortunately all other cases of this
issue end with the "fix "just lower your mouse hertz." I appreciate anyone's help, Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019
Try disabling all power saving in bios. Use high performance power setting in windows. What Nvida driver are you using? Try installing only video driver AND Physx driver. Do not use Geforce experience to set up your gpu.
Performance settings in windows are already on. Didn't find much in bios. Nvidia driver ver: 436.02, there's a newer version so I'm updating now to test and see. I've used DDU to uninstall my drivers and was going to install my gpu driver without geforce experience but there was some error that said it had to be done with it, so I ended up using it, not sure how to install it alone, I could try an older version maybe.

I have tried with basically no overlays up, running only apex legends and origin with the origin overlay turned off, the result is that the intense lag in the video I posted is gone, but there is still a FPS stutter while I'm moving my mouse that consistently happens every second.

Yes so try turning your polling rate down to 125 and see what happens. Do have an game controller you can use with the pc? Also make sure in windows device-mouse-pointer options, that enhance pointer precision is unchecked. And have you tried adjusting the speed in there as well?

Aug 11, 2019
Yes so try turning your polling rate down to 125 and see what happens. Do have an game controller you can use with the pc? Also make sure in windows device-mouse-pointer options, that enhance pointer precision is unchecked. And have you tried adjusting the speed in there as well?
I just tried using a PS4 controller, when I use it to look around and make movements in game there is no lag or issues at all, it's perfectly smooth, CPU & GPU stay up and consistent, as soon as I touched my mouse, lag started and usages dropped.

I've messed around with the mouse hertz. The lower it is the less noticeable/intense the lag/stutters are. When on 125hz it can be basically unnoticable, but with that low of hertz you can obviously feel the inconsistency of the mouse all around anywhere in windows. I'm guessing this issue has to be with something (The USB hub, CPU, etc) that is mishandling the mouses information that's being sent to my PC, even a default windows configuration or program? Maybe unprioritizing my game (cpu and gpu) when mouse movements are happening.

I just tried using a PS4 controller, when I use it to look around and make movements in game there is no lag or issues at all, it's perfectly smooth, CPU & GPU stay up and consistent, as soon as I touched my mouse, lag started and usages dropped.

I've messed around with the mouse hertz. The lower it is the less noticeable/intense the lag/stutters are. When on 125hz it can be basically unnoticable, but with that low of hertz you can obviously feel the inconsistency of the mouse all around anywhere in windows. I'm guessing this issue has to be with something (The USB hub, CPU, etc) that is mishandling the mouses information that's being sent to my PC, even a default windows configuration or program? Maybe unprioritizing my game (cpu and gpu) when mouse movements are happening.
Try rolling back the drivers for the mouse if you can. With all these Microsoft updates things get lost in the mix. Also what resolution and refresh speed is your monitor? Perhaps mess around with the display settings, turn off/on overclock, try a different refresh rate, etc. Also what audio drivers do you use? Maybe look in to that and update if you can.

Sep 1, 2019
I just had the same exact problem with my new build. It randomly fixed itself when I plugged in an old mouse I had lying around while minecraft was open, after that, I just plugged in my regular mouse and it was fine. If that doesn't work, then I would try to download all the drivers for your motherboard again.

Dec 28, 2019
Hello

I have exactly the same set (CPU and GPU) and exactly the same problem. Did you solve the problem in any way?
Today I will test with a different graphics card and if necessary even with the motherboard on the Z370 chip. I would just like to ask you which motherboard you have in your set?
If anything improves I will inform you in this topic.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.