CPU and Memory types

GaryO63

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Question: I'm going to purchase an Intel i7-6950K (when they become available).The memory types supported according to ARK are DDR4 2400/2133.If I drop in 3400,will the CPU utilize it,or only up to 2400 ?This has been confusing me for some time now.My 4790K runs DDR3 2400 flawlessly (with X.M.P.) and the memory types for it are 1333/1600.I just may have answered my own question,but I just want to make sure.I'm about to do a huge upgrade,and don't want to use components that won't get fully utilized.I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit.The board I'm getting will support 3466(OC) and will support up to 128GB.Thank you.

Solution
Usually the stated memory speeds are the speeds at which it is guaranteed to work. Overclocking (XMP) is above that range so it is not guaranteed to work but most often does. It will depend to a large extent on whether or not the motherboard supports that speed in their XMP profiles.
Usually the stated memory speeds are the speeds at which it is guaranteed to work. Overclocking (XMP) is above that range so it is not guaranteed to work but most often does. It will depend to a large extent on whether or not the motherboard supports that speed in their XMP profiles.

Solution