CPU, APU, and GPU questions

ObviousProblems

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Okay, so I want to know what I should do with a build I am putting together I was going to put a cpu in the build, but then I realized that it did not have integrated graphics and I wanted it to have them because I would not be able to purchase a graphics card until a bit down the line because of money issues. If I put in a Apu can I put in a dedicated gpu in later and have it work fine or do I need a Cpu to have a gpu? and if I can put in a gpu later with an Apu is there I have to do hardware or software wise? Thanks in Advance!

Solution
CPUs with integrated graphics work just fine when you install a dedicated graphics card. AMD's APUs are just names for their CPUs with integrated graphics. Intel's CPUs almost all have integrated graphics, so there's no need for the distinction. If I were you, I wouldn't get an AMD APU. Instead I'd go for an Intel motherboard and CPU.

Since you're looking at an APU, I'm guessing you don't have the largest budget. You can get an i3-4130 for $125 (or $90 at Microcenter) or an i3-4150 for $130 (or $100 at Microcenter). Both are excellent, but the 4150 is a tad stronger. Ideally, you should try for an i5 like an i5-4590 for $200 (or $160 at Microcenter). All three of those have integrated graphics and are great performs and will perform...

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
CPUs with integrated graphics work just fine when you install a dedicated graphics card. AMD's APUs are just names for their CPUs with integrated graphics. Intel's CPUs almost all have integrated graphics, so there's no need for the distinction. If I were you, I wouldn't get an AMD APU. Instead I'd go for an Intel motherboard and CPU.

Since you're looking at an APU, I'm guessing you don't have the largest budget. You can get an i3-4130 for $125 (or $90 at Microcenter) or an i3-4150 for $130 (or $100 at Microcenter). Both are excellent, but the 4150 is a tad stronger. Ideally, you should try for an i5 like an i5-4590 for $200 (or $160 at Microcenter). All three of those have integrated graphics and are great performs and will perform much better than an FX CPU or an A10 APU, so if you haven't gotten a motherboard yet, I recommend getting one of those.

UPDATE: Once you get a dedicated GPU, there isn't much you have to do hardware wise. Very rarely, depending on your motherboard and other things, your computer might still use your integrated graphics instead of your dedicated card. If that happens, and it usually doesn't, you can usually manually switch between the graphics card on your desktop, or you can disable the integrated graphics all together in the BIOS.

Solution

6R1M01R3

Distinguished

It's not plainly "bad" but it isn't also the best performer for desktop CPUs. AMD CPUs fit well in budget builds where you need the best price/performance. I was in a tight budget in my first 2 PC builds, so I went for AMD and it was good what I got, my second build used an APU, the 5800k. For my third PC I had a wider budget so I went for an i7.
I suppose you purchased a FM2+ motherboard?

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
It's pretty much what he said. It's not terrible, but their upgrade path isn't the best and you won't get as good an experience as you would if you went with Intel. This is because the per core/single threaded performance of current Intel CPUs is massive and completely outpaces AMD CPUs.

For a comparison, I used to have an FX-6300 and I managed to overclock that to a very, very stable 4.5 GHz. However, last week I upgraded to an i5-4690k and left it at stock clocks (3.5 GHz) and even at stock, I get way better performance on it than I did on the overclocked FX -- like in areas on my FX-6300 at 4.5 GHz where I used to get 30 - 45 fps, on my 3.5 GHz i5 I get 45 - 60. Massive difference.

If you have an FM2+ motherboard, then get an APU. Currently AMD's best APU is the A10-7850k, which is actually better in per core performance than anything in their FX series (they've abandoned AM3+ unfortunately). So yea, if you have FM2+, go for a good APU.