CPU at 100% all the time - no idea what is causing it

Sep 22, 2018
So I have pretty high end gaming PC. I just recently noticed my CPU is at 100% during idle and all the time after booting. It never drops below 100% even there shouldn't be anything running. All cores running 4700 Mhz (XMP on from bios, has no effect when it's off either tho) 60C temp in idle and 100% CPU usage. Even just single reddit page on google chrome took 60% CPU, and if I close everything it's still always 100%.

Doesn't matter if cores run on lower MhZ they still run 100% all the time.

My specs are here, so clearly not an issue: https://imgur.com/a/F0jVE3k
Any ideas would be apreciated!

Solution
Nothing in App History via Task Manager? And do remember to click the column headers to sort the usage stats. Easy to overlook.

Remove as much as you can from startup.

Boot and open Resource Monitor again and let the system stabilize. Hopefully CPU % will be down.

Then start adding back the disabled startup apps one by one while watching Resource Monitor's Overview and CPU tabs.
Sep 22, 2018
Nothing is - that's my point. A single page of google chrome takes 60%. I'm not doing anything heavy, my CPU is under full load all the time with multiple cores on 4700 mhz. Scanned my computer multiple ways and it's not malware / virus doing it either.

I know how to fix any basic stuff with programs eating too much memory or cpu, but I'm telling you nothing is using CPU and it still says it's 100% usage.

Ralston18

Titan
Nothing in App History via Task Manager? And do remember to click the column headers to sort the usage stats. Easy to overlook.

Remove as much as you can from startup.

Boot and open Resource Monitor again and let the system stabilize. Hopefully CPU % will be down.

Then start adding back the disabled startup apps one by one while watching Resource Monitor's Overview and CPU tabs.

Solution