Question CPU at 100% in every game but not turbo boosting

Feb 18, 2020
I'm new to this whole forum posting thing, but nothing I do seems to work.

I think my cpu or motherboard is bad. It was running perfectly a week ago then suddenly the usage hits 100% with 3.9ghz. Before it would boost to 4.2ghz and everything ran really well. I would get over 100fps in almost all my games at 1080p. I've tried messing with the voltage and xmp profiles available on my Bios and nothing works. I put the voltage to 1.4 and neither the clock speed nor the temp would change. My mother board doesn't support overclocking, not even with Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility. I thought it was a virus and wiped everything and did a fresh install of windows and am still having this issue. (all drivers up to date as well)

My specs are:
i5 7600k
GIGABYTE GA-H110M-A micro ATX
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB (16Gs)
EVGA 650 BQ, 80+ Bronze 650W
MSI 1060 (6GB)

suddenly the usage hits 100% with 3.9ghz. Before it would boost to 4.2ghz and everything ran really well. I would get over 100fps in almost all my games at 1080p
That's less than 10% of clock speed so your game should still be running at about 90FPS if it were only about the turbo.
Try opening task manager while you run the game in windowed mode to see if there is anything else running that could mess things up.

Reactions: Oussebon
Feb 18, 2020
That's less than 10% of clock speed so your game should still be running at about 90FPS if it were only about the turbo.
Try opening task manager while you run the game in windowed mode to see if there is anything else running that could mess things up.
This is a screenshot of Task Manger during Modern Warfare 2019

Nnfj2jP.png

Feb 18, 2020
I’d reset the BIOS back to stock settings and then only switch on XMP. Then see what happens. If still not boosting what is the cpu temperature while in game? Turbo boost will only occur when there is thermal and power headroom for it.
When I reset and did a fresh install I assumed it would revert, what would i have to do to make sure.