CPU at 128Degrees Celcius!?

Parq

Reputable
May 25, 2014
Alright last night when I was playing The Division Beta, my friend went on about how his GPU was melting and plastic was coming off, so my other friend told him to download speedfan or some application that counted the temp of the internals. So I did as well just out of curiosity and my GPU came out at 58Degrees Celcius running the division beta on high. My CPU although came out at a whopping 128 Degrees Celcius as you can see the the picture below. Is that just a false reading. Because after all night of it being off I came back this morning and as soon as I started my PC it was again at 128DC.
Specs:
Windows 10 Home
Motherboard: Z87-G45 MSI Gaming Motherboard
Memory/RAM: 8GB Cosair Vengeance
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Processor: Intel i7 4770K
SSD: Samsung 500GB Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series 760 Watt Platinum Power Supply
Case/Frame: Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower Computer Case with High Airflow

V6xXXjF.png

Solution
Another decent program is realtemp. I've never cared much for speedfan, from my personal experience it's faulty more often than it's correct. Those temps you got with core temp seem much more accurate. Intel cpu's will throttle at around 100-105c.

Parq

Reputable
May 25, 2014

Alright I just ran a different application and heres the results.

G96E79E.png

Also is this normal for being idle/running chrome and youtube. Its using the stock fan, im gonna upgrade to a Hyper 212 EVO

monkey4sale

Honorable
Apr 20, 2015
False reading with speedfan my friend. Those temps 40-50c that you have posted are most likely correct and for that CPU with a stock cooler seem about right AND that's a little toasty for that CPU at idle. The BIOS is the best place to check the CPU temperature at Idle though ( i.e before the OS has started running). I would recommend upgrading the CPU cooler as it's likely you will shave at least 10c off the temperature at Idle and when under load.