Question CPU battle

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
So, I'm looking into upgrading my CPU (right now I have a Pentium G4560) and was looking at the i6 9500f and the Ryzen 5 2600x. Here's a small problem though, I have 16Gb of DDR4 2400MHz ram, and that would slow down the 2600x. As of GPU and Motherboards, right now I have an Aorus RX570 4Gb, and for the motherboards for each cpu i was thinking of getting a
Gigabyte B450M DS3H for the Ryzen and a Asus PRIME B360M-A for my i5. The i5 is at 2.9GHz, which is not compelling, and you can't even overclock it. Then there's the 2600x, coming in at 3.7 (I think), overclockable on a B450, and coming with a better stock cooler. Now, if I had to change cooler for the CPUs for whatever reason, some reccomandations would be greatly appreciated. Regarding the games that I play, they're 50% Esport games and 50% "demanding games", like my friend pedro, CODs, PUBG, and Destiny 2. Any thoughts?

EDIT: For any other CPU reccomendations, my budget is ranging from 170$ and lower.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I5-9400F will run up to 4.1Ghz, base of 2.9Ghz
R5-2600x will run up to 4.2Ghz, base of 3.6Ghz

As long as they are kept cool enough, they will both stay well above their base clock.

You can overclock Ryzen on B and X boards, but you can usually only a get a little extra, 50Mhz or less. Basically, you can just set all cores to run at boost speed, with adequate cooling, with either system.

Ryzen's advantage comes with SMT, 12 threads to the Intel 6 threads. So anything that can take advantage of that should run a little better on AMD. Anything that relies on single core performance will run better on the Intel CPU.

You are correct in that the Ryzen chip will be more impacted than the Intel chip with 2400Mhz memory.

Ryzen is better future planning, you can always look at 3rd gen chips, and up to 12 cores reasonably, doubt most B450 boards will enjoy a 16 core chip, possibly one more generation from AMD. Whereas the Intel board is essentially already a dead socket with LGA1200 on the way. Though you could still look at i7 and i9 processors, not really a match for a B360 or B365 board.

I lean towards the AMD build, but maybe try and go after some faster memory, at least in the near future.

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
Ryzen 5 2600 is generally slower than 9400F. Not much, but it's slower. You can look for "2600 x 9400 gaming" on Youtube. There's a lot. 9400F is 10%~15% faster on gaming.

But 2600 have 6 cores and 12 threads. I really dont think that any 6/6 CPUs are a smart choice for people that want to keep same pc without any upgrades for too long (let's say 3 or more years). It's my opinion based on almost 15 years of PC gaming experience.

Games like Battlefield are reaching 100% of CPU Usage already on 6 cores CPU (6/6 without any threads). Next Sony console will have 8 cores and 16 threads. If 2600 was too much slower than 9400F, I would say to buy 9400F. But they're very similar and the double of logical cores will certainly help you after 1 or 2 years. Performance on BF, for example, is smoother on Ryzen 2600, even with less framerates, since there's no spikes at all.

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
I5-9400F will run up to 4.1Ghz, base of 2.9Ghz
R5-2600x will run up to 4.2Ghz, base of 3.6Ghz

As long as they are kept cool enough, they will both stay well above their base clock.

You can overclock Ryzen on B and X boards, but you can usually only a get a little extra, 50Mhz or less. Basically, you can just set all cores to run at boost speed, with adequate cooling, with either system.

Ryzen's advantage comes with SMT, 12 threads to the Intel 6 threads. So anything that can take advantage of that should run a little better on AMD. Anything that relies on single core performance will run better on the Intel CPU.

You are correct in that the Ryzen chip will be more impacted than the Intel chip with 2400Mhz memory.

Ryzen is better future planning, you can always look at 3rd gen chips, and up to 12 cores reasonably, doubt most B450 boards will enjoy a 16 core chip, possibly one more generation from AMD. Whereas the Intel board is essentially already a dead socket with LGA1200 on the way. Though you could still look at i7 and i9 processors, not really a match for a B360 or B365 board.

I lean towards the AMD build, but maybe try and go after some faster memory, at least in the near future.
About the ram, is about 2/3rds of a year good? Since I was on a budget and in serious need of new ram, i just got the crucial 16gb 2400MHz kit. I doubt that I will be able to spend another 70$ on new ram. Also, should I consider some older Ryzen CPUs or Intels?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No reason to consider older Intel CPUs, except maybe the i7-8700k, but that is a whole price bracket up.

1st Gen Ryzen, maybe the only CPU worth looking at is the R7-1700, assuming it is still available and priced low enough, and you have an application for 8c/16t. The clock speed and other refinements are worth it on 2nd gen. 2nd gen itself is worth looking at because of the low pricing. 3rd gen is my recommendation if you can afford it. A small clock speed boost, but also significant gains in terms of IPC. Really makes all but Intel's highest end chips not worth looking at. With boost speeds matching or exceeding Intel's locked processors and overclocking support across the stack, no need to pay the Intel tax.

What is your motherboard?
Your current G4560 has 4 threads and a passmark rating of 4863 and a single thread rating of 1987.
With $170, you can probably buy a i7-4790K in ebay.
It has 8 threads and a rating of 11165/2509.
If your motherboard is a z motherboard, you can even overclock a bit more.