Question cpu benchmark

Feb 15, 2022
I'm buying a new computer for graphic design
I'm trying to compare benchmarks.
Can someone explain how can it be that two processors with almost the same specs have different benchmarks?
Example in case.Intel Core i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz Benchmark is 17448 on cpubenchmark.net as opposed to Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz benchmark is 12419. I would be grateful if someone would explain.

Also in a case when one option is a laptop with Intel Core i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz and gpu is rtx 3070 vs a diff laptop which cpu is slightly better AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with slightly lower gpu gtx1660ti
what s more importamnt cpu or gpu?

and lastly is there any reason to get intel over amd if they are equal benchmarks.

thanks for all help

kanewolf

Titan
I'm buying a new computer for graphic design
I'm trying to compare benchmarks.
Can someone explain how can it be that two processors with almost the same specs have different benchmarks?
Example in case.Intel Core i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz Benchmark is 17448 on cpubenchmark.net as opposed to Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz benchmark is 12419. I would be grateful if someone would explain.

Also in a case when one option is a laptop with Intel Core i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz and gpu is rtx 3070 vs a diff laptop which cpu is slightly better AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with slightly lower gpu gtx1660ti
what s more importamnt cpu or gpu?

and lastly is there any reason to get intel over amd if they are equal benchmarks.

thanks for all help
I would not recommend a laptop as your only computer if your goal is graphic design. Cost vs performance of a laptop is poor compared to a desktop.
Graphic design is also about screen quality and screen real estate. Laptops very frequently have a single external monitor connection. Very limiting.

Feb 15, 2022
i also thought so but when comparing i have found better and cheaper (or minimally more expensive) laptops over desktops
also i can connect to more screens via dock

Are you looking for a laptop, or for a desktop?

There are two reasons for the differences in performance.
1. The 11400F is an intel 11th gen processor that has a newer architecture. The better architecture does more work per clock cycle. The newer 12th gen I3-12100 is even stronger.

2. You are comparing a desktop chip which is optimized for performance vs. a laptop chip which is optimized for battery savings.

What is your graphics design app?
Look at the required and recommended specs for hardware.

Can the app use a discrete graphics chip to aid computing?
If so, what is recommended
You may find it better to pay $25 or so to buy the non F version of the I5-11400 which includes graphics capabilities that your app can use.

Reactions: Lafong
Feb 15, 2022
Are you looking for a laptop, or for a desktop?

There are two reasons for the differences in performance.
1. The 11400F is an intel 11th gen processor that has a newer architecture. The better architecture does more work per clock cycle. The newer 12th gen I3-12100 is even stronger.

2. You are comparing a desktop chip which is optimized for performance vs. a laptop chip which is optimized for battery savings.

What is your graphics design app?
Look at the required and recommended specs for hardware.

Can the app use a discrete graphics chip to aid computing?
If so, what is recommended
You may find it better to pay $25 or so to buy the non F version of the I5-11400 which includes graphics capabilities that your app can use.

I'm deliberating between desktop and laptop. Is there any reason not to get a laptop if capabilties are the same?
I'm talking about using adobe dimension.
All that I am looking at have a dedicated gpu. (is that same as discrete?)

At the moemnt I hav sort of narrowed it down to either https://www.costco.co.uk/Computers/...-Super-Gaming-Desktop-PC-TG01-2002NA/p/377713
or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Leg...08GNYNMGZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

USAFRet

Titan
I'm deliberating between desktop and laptop. Is there any reason not to get a laptop if capabilties are the same?
Mostly, the capabilities are NOT the same.
If actually equal, the laptop is probably more expensive.

In addition, the HID aspect.
Add full size keyboard and mouse, an external monitor or two...it just becomes a 'desktop'.

Further, a year from now if you wish to upgrade something....far easier on a desktop vs laptop.

Laptops are good if you actually need the mobility.

Feb 15, 2022
Mostly, the capabilities are NOT the same.
If actually equal, the laptop is probably more expensive.

In addition, the HID aspect.
Add full size keyboard and mouse, an external monitor or two...it just becomes a 'desktop'.

Further, a year from now if you wish to upgrade something....far easier on a desktop vs laptop.

Laptops are good if you actually need the mobility.

what is HID aspect?

Here are the requirements for adobe dimension:
https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/system-requirements.html

Either should work.
The cpu capabilities of each are similar.
You will need a monitor and keyboard for the desktop system.
You may find that a larger than 17" monitor is better on a desktop.

One problem with gaming laptops is that they get hot and throttle when heavily used.
Laptop coolers need to be small, resulting in mediocre cooling.
I read about lots of laptop users who have problems with heavy gaming.

Unless you need the portability of a laptop, you will do better with a desktop.

Feb 15, 2022
Here are the requirements for adobe dimension:
https://helpx.adobe.com/dimension/system-requirements.html

Either should work.
The cpu capabilities of each are similar.
You will need a monitor and keyboard for the desktop system.
You may find that a larger than 17" monitor is better on a desktop.

One problem with gaming laptops is that they get hot and throttle when heavily used.
Laptop coolers need to be small, resulting in mediocre cooling.
I read about lots of laptop users who have problems with heavy gaming.

Unless you need the portability of a laptop, you will do better with a desktop.

i also thought they were very similar.
if I connected a screen to the laptop would it not be the same as a desktop?

would the problems with heavy gaming apply to dimension?

i could od with portability of a laptop but only if it doesn't majorly affect muy usage

also do you mean to say that a laptop and desktop with the same specs the desktop would be faster coz it has a better cooling system?
Desktops are faster than laptops because desktop CPU's tend to have significantly higher sustained clock speeds due to more power available and better cooling. The equivalent desktop CPU can sometimes have more cores as well.

However there are suitable laptops for your use case. The question is do you need something that's portable or would you rather the extra power and expandability of a desktop.

Feb 15, 2022
like i said i rather portability but not at a massive compromise eon performance
in my case teh laptop i am lookign at has more cores and threads than teh desktop

Feb 15, 2022
Desktops are faster than laptops because desktop CPU's tend to have significantly higher sustained clock speeds due to more power available and better cooling. The equivalent desktop CPU can sometimes have more cores as well.

However there are suitable laptops for your use case. The question is do you need something that's portable or would you rather the extra power and expandability of a desktop.

ike i said i rather portability but not at a massive compromise eon performance
in my case teh laptop i am lookign at has more cores and threads than teh desktop

ike i said i rather portability but not at a massive compromise eon performance

You have your own definition of "massive". Not much chance we can know what it is.

Core and thread count is not a reliable way to measure your likely satisfaction when comparing desktops to laptops.

Portability is pretty much the only advantage of a laptop.

Portability from room to room within a household may be much less valuable than portability away from home.

You get to decide if portability over-rides all other factors. For most laptop buyers, it must. Hard to imagine why anyone would own one if portability were not a factor. Possibly for the smaller size alone? Or if a gift?

They are inferior in price/performance ratio, ease and cost of maintenance, durability, screen size, likelihood of theft, cooling issues, and on and on.

Jan 30, 2022
I've been a career graphic designer since 1976. I found that over the counter computers were rarely cost-effective for what I needed, so I began building my workstations back in the late 80's Since then I discovered that AMD processors always did a better job with graphics than Intel, and were just as fast if not faster. I have coupled AMD Ryzen processors with AMD graphics cards for the past five years and have seen even better performance from the combination. I would recommend that you find a machine with a Ryzen 7 or better processor and run it at it's standard speed. I also suggest if you can, to have liquid cooling installed to keep everything in good temp ranges... but that's just me.

Last edited: