Question CPU Bottleneck/Safe Overclocking AMD Ryzen 5 2400g

Oct 12, 2019
Let me start by saying I don't know much about PC's! So bear with me and thank you so much for any help.

1. Wondering if my CPU is bottlenecking me here. I assume it is as my GPU usually doesn't get to 100% usage, but I just wanna make double sure it actually would. I don't go above 60 fps or 1920x1080 as those are my monitors limits and I don't really have a desire for anything higher than that. However, I can only really get to 50 fps in high stress moments on recently released games I've tested.

2. I'm assuming this GPU is MORE than enough, so my second question would be if overclocking would be safe and/or help this cpu. I don't really know anything about overclocking and REALLY don't want to damage my CPU in anyway, but I also don't want to upgrade my cpu if I don't have to! Used my recent promotion money for this card haha :). So advice on overclocking would be wonderful. I have that ryzen master thing downloaded but I'm scared to click any buttons.

System Model: AB350N-Gaming WIFI
BIOS: F23 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16330MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

Thank you so much!

While that CPU is relatively new, it wasn’t the type of CPU designed to be paired with higher level graphics. 4c/8t CPUs have reached their end of life for people playing the latest games and I’d recommend getting an 8c/16t CPU if you decide to upgrade.
To be certain if your CPU is the bottleneck then we would need to know your CPU usage. I’m guessing it’s 100% in most games? The other thing is your chosen gaming resolution, 1080p. The lower your resolution, the more CPU intensive and less GPU intensive it becomes. As you push to 1440p it puts less on the CPU and more on the GPU. At 1080p a better CPU can be of definite help.
As for a recommendation, your motherboard supports any Ryzen CPU. Personally with that lower tier motherboard I would go with a strong CPU like the 3700x that is also only 65watt. That will be a pretty good upgrade that should last you several years. Just make sure you upgrade your bios to F40 before changing out to ANY Ryzen 3000 series CPU.

Reactions: Flower0Girl
Oct 12, 2019
While that CPU is relatively new, it wasn’t the type of CPU designed to be paired with higher level graphics. 4c/8t CPUs have reached their end of life for people playing the latest games and I’d recommend getting an 8c/16t CPU if you decide to upgrade.
To be certain if your CPU is the bottleneck then we would need to know your CPU usage. I’m guessing it’s 100% in most games? The other thing is your chosen gaming resolution, 1080p. The lower your resolution, the more CPU intensive and less GPU intensive it becomes. As you push to 1440p it puts less on the CPU and more on the GPU. At 1080p a better CPU can be of definite help.
As for a recommendation, your motherboard supports any Ryzen CPU. Personally with that lower tier motherboard I would go with a strong CPU like the 3700x that is also only 65watt. That will be a pretty good upgrade that should last you several years. Just make sure you upgrade your bios to F40 before changing out to ANY Ryzen 3000 series CPU.

Thank you SO MUCH for your advice. Once I get some more spending money I'll spring for that cpu and maybe think about getting a higher resolution monitor too later on. Better to just upgrade instead of hacking around with my cpu,

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
Let me start by saying I don't know much about PC's! So bear with me and thank you so much for any help.

1. Wondering if my CPU is bottlenecking me here. I assume it is as my GPU usually doesn't get to 100% usage, but I just wanna make double sure it actually would. I don't go above 60 fps or 1920x1080 as those are my monitors limits and I don't really have a desire for anything higher than that. However, I can only really get to 50 fps in high stress moments on recently released games I've tested.

2. I'm assuming this GPU is MORE than enough, so my second question would be if overclocking would be safe and/or help this cpu. I don't really know anything about overclocking and REALLY don't want to damage my CPU in anyway, but I also don't want to upgrade my cpu if I don't have to! Used my recent promotion money for this card haha :). So advice on overclocking would be wonderful. I have that ryzen master thing downloaded but I'm scared to click any buttons.

System Model: AB350N-Gaming WIFI
BIOS: F23 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16330MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

Thank you so much!

1. Yes, it's bottlenecking you since it is a 4/8 CPU (recent games from 2018 to now need at least 6/6 or 6/12 today). Probably you're having less than 60FPS on some games, am i right?

2. Overclock will help you, but there's not much room for it on Ryzen 2400G. Seems like 4.0Ghz is the wall and 3.8Ghz is what people can use without changing Vcore, for example. I would definitely give a try on overclock if I was you. It should boost at least 14% on your performance (specially on 1% FPS LOW). So look for overclock on Ryzen on youtube for proper tutorial. But it's really easy, specially if you don't want to go far than 3.8Ghz. Just increase the CPU Clock until you have 3.8Ghz and disable Boost Clockon BIOS program.

I have a question. Whats the memory speed? 2400Mhz? Memory is incredible important to boost FPS too and reduce bottleneck. It's easy to overclock too, but sometimes you need to relax latency. Look for a youtube guide for it.

You are probably never going to get much above 40-55% GPU usage at only 1080P, so do not plan upgrades around some arbitrary percentage ratios somehow equating to 'need more of this' ... ; your minimum framerates during action sequences will often be determined by your CPU, and people are chose R5-1600 and 2600 (on the AMD side, anyway) as a sensible minimum for a reason. SIx cores/twelve threads are good, but, based on how well the 9700K does, apparently 8 actual cores do well, too. With the advent of the R5-3600, is the new standard 'go to' these days. coming quite close to 8700K gaming performance, which is a good level of performance to be at.

Certainly the 2070 Super can handle higher res than 1080P and levels of quality/detail/AA/AF filtering, and, the 2400 is not really remotely capable of overwhelming/saturating it. (If your motherboard supports the R5-3600, start saving for one; with your 2070 SUper, you'd then be set for at least a few years!)

TRENDING THREADS