CPU Charts 2012: 86 Processors From AMD And Intel, Tested

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
superkart,

It's a back & forth game. I started off with a 6000+, but the AM2 mbd I had (ASUS M2N32 WS Pro)
was not issued with a BIOS update to support the Ph2, so although you were able to upgrade, I
was not. This happened to a lot of people, on the Intel side aswell - various S775 boards that
can't use the 9K series CPUs. Very annoying as the board I had was a costly 'pro' series board
with proper PCIX. I had already transitioned once though, from an older AGP board (Asrock
AM2NF3-VSTA), so the 6000+ at least saw some extended life (old AGP gfx was X1950Pro, replaced
that with 8800GT). Before that I had a Dell 650, so even the X1950Pro was carried over once.

Anyway, so I built an i7 860 system, keeping my 8800GT. The speedup over the 6000+ was huge,
to put it mildly. Later I upgraded to an i7 870 with a higher clock. Since then I've built
many other systems, and upgraded the old Asrock to a Ph2 965 and 3850 AGP (for my gf); Asrock
had a different attitude to their older mbds, they released a BIOS update for Ph2 within minutes of
the 965 coming out. I have three Ph2 965s now, and lots of other CPUs/boards/combos (no Ph2 X6
yet though, still too costly 2nd-hand).

Despite being a quad-core, the 965 really isn't that fast in the grand scheme of things. Here's
a summary using some of my 3DMark06 CPU test numbers (except the oc'd 965/760 results which I
found on 3dmark.com). Of course this info says nothing about price/performance, but it's
interesting nonetheless. See:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/3dmark06cpuscores.txt

Note that an oc'd 2-core i3 550 almost matches a stock 965, which is rather amusing; the former
is far better for some tasks (X3TC, ProE, etc.), ie. those that benefit from absolute high clock
rather than lots of cores. Chips like the 2700K are just the best of both worlds (that 5GHz took
me less than an hour to sort out; indeed, reaching 4.8 took 5 minutes).

More problematic for the 965 was how it didn't really do that well against the 760 in many tests,
especially given how high the 760 can be oc'd due to its lack of HT. I've not oc'd my 760 yet, I
want to experiment with the 670 first, see if I can get it past 5.0.

Ian.

[citation][nom]trentil[/nom]Is it a joke ? No i3 tested ! ...[/citation]

That i3-530 is first in an Intel list in the first page listed as a tested CPU seems to not help your case, granted there aren't any LGA 1155 i3s in its list.

acu

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I wish I could see Intel Xeon 4 & 8 cores and AMD Opteron 8, 12, and 16 cores, so people who have more money have an idea about the price vs performance of these processors. Also to compare them with i7, Phenom and FX.

[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]How the *** did you test a FX-8170 if it doesn't exist?[/citation]

It did exist. It wasn't released to the public AFAIK, but it was in the roadmaps for a while. Maybe they got an OEM unit or an engineering sample. Heck, maybe it was simply a typo- whatever. Point is that it's possible.

djpjamador

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
This huge test/benchmark is really usefull for all of us. But i have something to point about benchmarks.
I started software development in 1998, and i develop code in 3 programming languages. And benchmarks are not all the truth. Because most windows applications are created with Microsoft Visual Studio. And it comes with a Intel compiler. And it supports only 386 and 486 compilation. This means that the application code is not optimized for any processor architecture. For video games and high performance applications like video editing, developers can upgrade their compiler for a more expensive version, wich is INTEL. To really compare processors, you need a application compiled with generic code. Try to use linux on both processors you are comparing, and use Blender. On Linux software is downloaded in source code and it is compiled live to YOUR processor architecture. Test it and you will be surprised! The same linux live CD in 686 architecture runs much faster in AMD processors when compared to SAME level INTEL processors. Benchmark Blender in AMD and in INTEL. Remeber to use a clean live cd and install blender after startup and bench it!

Status
Not open for further replies.