CPU choosing help

mnsmix

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Hi,
I plan to upgrade my CPU. I am willing to spend 400$ on my CPU. I do want to get the best performance for heavy gaming and professional photo editing.
As of now i have Intel Pentium G620 @ 2.60GHz and ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8H61-M LX motherboard. here is the supported CPU list for my motherboard.
http://support.asus.com/Cpusupport/List.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8H61-M%20LX&p=1&s=39
As of now i wanted to get the Intel Core i7 3770K i just wanted to make sure its the right choice.
please help me choose the best CPU for me.
also i was thinking of the option of buying new motherboard so that i could get a stronger CPU, please tell me if i need to.
Thank you!

Solution
With that budget, I would plan on upgrading both the CPU and the MB. The i7-3770k is Ivy Bridge, which is a few generations back at this point, as it was replaced by Haswell, and then Haswell refresh (aka: Devil's Canyon), as well as Broadwell cpu parts. In early August, Skylake is due to be announced, and should be available a few months after that.

I would certainly wait for the benchmarks on Skylake to come out, which we will have soon, to decide on the upgrade. Early reports put Skylake at a 6-7% increase over Broadwell. Look for the i5-6600k CPU.
With that budget, I would plan on upgrading both the CPU and the MB. The i7-3770k is Ivy Bridge, which is a few generations back at this point, as it was replaced by Haswell, and then Haswell refresh (aka: Devil's Canyon), as well as Broadwell cpu parts. In early August, Skylake is due to be announced, and should be available a few months after that.

I would certainly wait for the benchmarks on Skylake to come out, which we will have soon, to decide on the upgrade. Early reports put Skylake at a 6-7% increase over Broadwell. Look for the i5-6600k CPU.

Solution