CPU cleaning toilet paper or not??

RobertGPS

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Hi,

I've read a lot of forums the last hour: and it is almost 50/50 in opinions about this....but on this forum are the real experts! :) can I use toilet paper for cleaning my CPU of old thermal paste or NOT??

I am very curious...

Solution

It takes me only one filter to do the job.
Use alcohol, as pure as you can get.
Tear off a small piece of the filter and get most of the paste off of both surfaces.
Then tear off another piece and do some more.
The third piece should have it all clean.
When you reapply, use a small drop only. It will spread under heat and pressure.
If you use too much paste, it acts as an insulator.

If you have no coffee filters, toilet paper will work.
And, a tip....
Before you remove your cooler, run the cpu a bit to...

RobertGPS

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
What about using toilet paper for cleaning the big part of paste (because it absorbs better than cofffee filter) and after that cofffee filter for purifying? It would rub off all little parts of the toilet paper or would't it?

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
I would say from personal experience toilet paper is pretty much perfect, you will see if there are any parts left on the IHS, been cleaning my cpu's with only toilet paper for years, used to swap out heatsinks/mobos quite a lot, best option would be toilet paper with medicinal alcohol (98%)

It takes me only one filter to do the job.
Use alcohol, as pure as you can get.
Tear off a small piece of the filter and get most of the paste off of both surfaces.
Then tear off another piece and do some more.
The third piece should have it all clean.
When you reapply, use a small drop only. It will spread under heat and pressure.
If you use too much paste, it acts as an insulator.

If you have no coffee filters, toilet paper will work.
And, a tip....
Before you remove your cooler, run the cpu a bit to heat it up and soften the installed paste.

Solution