Question CPU clock always at overclocked frequency

ThatIrishGamer

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
Hello guys, I havent been here in a very long time but I need some help from you trusted people who helped build my PC a long time ago :)

I have recently upgraded my GPU to an RTX 3070 and thought to overclock my i7-8700k a bit to keep up.
Now about 5 years ago when I built this sustem, I had set in the BIOS to always use my boost frequency of 4.3Ghz which was never an issue. I had it like that until now.

I overclocked my CPU to 4.7Ghz and it still sits at max frequency - 4.7ghz all the time, even at idle.
Im struggling to find the settings required to bring it back to normal frequency at idle and only go to max frequency under usage.

Im using an Asus Z370 Prime - A motherboard.
I tried turning speedstep on, speedswitching off as well as setting the power limit from max performance to auto.
Nothing seems to change anything, turning the Turbo mode off brings the CPU back to stock 3.7Ghz but it still sits at that frequency at all times.

I could set my BIOS to default settings and do the OC from there but I dont know what quality of life things I turned on years ago that I wouldnt be able to figure out now, so im trying to keep my settings and just mess with the CPU

Could someone please help me make the CPU low frequency at low usage, and 4.7ghz at high usage.
Thank you :D

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You would have to revert your overclock for windows to take control. If temps are fine I wouldn't worry about it. I had a 2600k (retired last year, was a shame it was rock solid but teeth were getting long) overclocked to 4.5, and remained as such since i got it in 2011. So 11 years at 4.5 and i used it regularly lol.