[SOLVED] CPU Clock Speed Locked

mr.manlizard

Prominent
Dec 15, 2018
I've recently built a computer only using brand new parts purchased from retailers, I played games here and there but nothing all day nor anything too demanding just games such as Modern Warfare and Forza. Everything was running great for the first I had no frame issues or latency problems my computer never even went under heavy load as there was no need. I turn my PC off every night never leave it on. One day when playing COD my game randomly started getting about 20 frames and I've had trouble running even CS:GO on this BRAND NEW build I looked at my CPU-z and whenever I launch games my CPU clock locks at 800 MH z, I even tried stressing CPU with CPU-z when playing and it was still locked. However, when I'm not playing a game it idles at the speed of around 2900-4600 as it should.

Specs;

GPU - 2080 Geforce Super
CPU - Intel i7 10700
RAM - Corsair ddr4 32 gigs at 3200 Mhz
Memory - SSD 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2
CPU Cooler - EVGA 280mm liquid cooler
MOBO - MSI z490 gaming plus
P.S Cpu temp never goes above like 38 C
3xUhvXI.png

Solution
38C is very low for a processor, so not sure I would trust that. Under load, even with water cooling, you should expect to see 70ish C. Maybe a little less since it is a locked processor, but these CPUs are well known for having high power budgets. Power is another potential issue, make sure your CPU has all of its additional power pins populated. Monitor motherboard temperatures, specifically VRMs, to make sure those aren't overheating. Liquid coolers have a disadvantage in not offering a fan near the motherboard heatsinks.

More likely the computer has chosen a lower power mode. Check under power options and see if the system is set to something other than balanced or maximum performance. Max performance should force the boost...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
38C is very low for a processor, so not sure I would trust that. Under load, even with water cooling, you should expect to see 70ish C. Maybe a little less since it is a locked processor, but these CPUs are well known for having high power budgets. Power is another potential issue, make sure your CPU has all of its additional power pins populated. Monitor motherboard temperatures, specifically VRMs, to make sure those aren't overheating. Liquid coolers have a disadvantage in not offering a fan near the motherboard heatsinks.

More likely the computer has chosen a lower power mode. Check under power options and see if the system is set to something other than balanced or maximum performance. Max performance should force the boost frequency to stay on.

mr.manlizard

Prominent
Dec 15, 2018

More likely the computer has chosen a lower power mode. Check under power options and see if the system is set to something other than balanced or maximum performance. Max performance should force the boost frequency to stay on.
I read another forum that said to download throttlestop and disable BD PROCHOT and this solved the issue, apparently when this feature activates unnecessarily it means the sensor went bad on the MOBO

Solution