CPU clock speed random drops from 4.5 to 1.4Ghz - AMD FX-8350

Earione

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
Everytime when I overclock my CPU above 4.5Ghz my clock speed drops randomly around 1.4Ghz when I'm playing games.

I've been Googling if it was thermal or power save throttling so I disabled things like AMD Turbo Core Technology, Cool ‘n’ Quiet and Core C6 State. Though I couldn't find C1E and Enhanced Halt State anywhere in the bios.

And it really doesn't overheat. I use an AIO water cooler and the CPU easily stays below 60 degrees celsius.

So the things that I already did:

• ■Turned off AMD Turbo Core Technology, Cool ‘n’ Quiet and Core C6 State in bios.
    ■Switched on and off AMD Turbo Core Technology in AMD Overdrive (since I heard there could be a bios bug?).
    ■Switched minimum processor state to 100% at power options.
    ■Pretty much disabled everything at CPU Configuration at bios except Advanced Clock Calibration.

My PC:

• ■AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
    ■Asus M5A78L-M Motherboard
    ■MSI Geforce GTX 960 4G
    ■16 GB RAM Dual channel
    ■Corsair Hydro Series h80i

Solution
Well, the only way you can be sure that it's thermal throttling is to use CPU-Z or any program that allows you to see the CPU multiplier in real time (I think AIDA 64 does it too), and check if it's being reduced. In my case it was when it went above 68°C, but I guess it could vary. According to AMD, the max temp is 61°C so it would make sense for it to throttle before getting close to that. Not sure how I can get it past that without throttling now that I think about it.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/search/CPU/AMD-FX-Series/AMD-FX-8-Core-Black-Edition/FX-8350/92

I had 2 different motherboards before my current Crosshair Formula Z and I was never able to get much overclocking done with this CPU until now, so that could be something...

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
There's nothing you can do about that, it's thermal throttling built into the CPU itself. The problem is that your temperatures are getting too high but your overclock is stable. I had this same issue and is what's actually stops me from reaching 5GHz with my own 8350. Once it gets over 68°C it's hard to keep it from underclocking itself until the temperature drops. It's not a configuration issue, it's a built in protection. The best you can do is getting a better cooling solution, but don't expect much improvement. I have a Corsair H110i GT (280mm) and I can't get it over 4.8GHz.

Earione

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

But why is it thermal throttling when my CPU doesn't even get above the 60's?

Earione

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

I used AIDA64, Corsair link and Speedfan. They were all the same on load and idle. The highest I can get is 57 degrees (at 4.7 GHz)

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Well, the only way you can be sure that it's thermal throttling is to use CPU-Z or any program that allows you to see the CPU multiplier in real time (I think AIDA 64 does it too), and check if it's being reduced. In my case it was when it went above 68°C, but I guess it could vary. According to AMD, the max temp is 61°C so it would make sense for it to throttle before getting close to that. Not sure how I can get it past that without throttling now that I think about it.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/search/CPU/AMD-FX-Series/AMD-FX-8-Core-Black-Edition/FX-8350/92

I had 2 different motherboards before my current Crosshair Formula Z and I was never able to get much overclocking done with this CPU until now, so that could be something to consider. This CPU uses tons of energy and your motherboard only has a 4 pin connector for the CPU. It could also be that it's not getting enough power and it just cuts down the clock to match the power available, but I'm not really sure that's how it works.

Solution

jonomaia

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
don't know if you had already found the solution, but, from what i've found through dozens of topics (my situation is similar), the problem is the motherboard.
i'm using FX8370E, weaker than the 8350, with a M5A78l-M V2 and the clocks always go down when the temp of the mobo (hwmonitor) go up.
I'm not even using the defaut cooler of the cpu. Our mobos are no heatsinked and can't keep up with the cpu's higher clocks.
in my example, the "turbo core" of mine 8370E just go up to 3.6 and only with my RAM (1600) running at 1333. otherwise it keeps freezing and dropping fps in games and dropping clock.
I've bought a new mobo and i'm waiting for the deliver to test it.