CPU comparing help

Solution
It depends on what you want to do with it. Gaming the i5 is likely better for the price. If you're doing 3d image editing, CAD, anything that requires a lot of mulithreading then the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X is better. If you're gaming at higher then 1080p and streaming at the same time then the 1800X maybe suitable for you. If you're compiling Google Chrome with Visual Studio then the Ryzen is better.
It depends on what you want to do with it. Gaming the i5 is likely better for the price. If you're doing 3d image editing, CAD, anything that requires a lot of mulithreading then the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X is better. If you're gaming at higher then 1080p and streaming at the same time then the 1800X maybe suitable for you. If you're compiling Google Chrome with Visual Studio then the Ryzen is better.

Solution

Jwpanz

Honorable
"Better" doesn't come into play unless you're comparing the applications the chips will use. For gaming only, the i5 is better for the price you're paying. If you do anything that needs more than 4 cores (or works much better with them) then the 1800x is for you.

Comparing these chips is almost an apples to oranges scenario. They are meant for different things and the 1800x is priced for fact that it doubles the core count and can render/edit much better than the i5 can.