CPU compatibility with Asrock 1150 board?

So I'm planning to get this board: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme4/

According to the CPU support list however the i5 4690k (which is the CPU I plan to get with it) is supported from BIOS 1.2 and later. However, the description of the specific update only says "Add HSW, HSW-R CPU in "Power Saving Mode".". Would I need to do a BIOS update to use this CPU with the motherboard or not? And if so would I need to use a placeholder CPU with it to do the update?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I think you might be off just a bit. According to the CPU Support List you linked, the Intel Core I5-4690K requires BIOS version 1.3 (not 1.2). The notes for version 1.3 state:

1. Update VBIOS.
2. Add i7-4790K, i5-4690K, Pentium Anniversary G3258 EZ-OC table.

Assuming your motherboard has not had the BIOS updated beyond version 1.3, you would need a placeholder CPU to perform the update.

-Wolf sends

I don't already own the motherboard, I was planning on getting it.

The_Tester

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Buy now I would not worry about BIOS/UEFI compatibility with 4th Gen stuff. My Extreme9 was ordered near the end of 2014 and had the P1.10 (for mine) UEFI marked on the chips. For that board you should be getting one with at least p1.50 or higher I would think (more than likely P2.00 or higher).