Question CPU consistently spiking, gaming is unplayable, have tried most solutions

Aug 2, 2021
A few nights ago I started getting consistent spiking framerate out of the blue. I can be at 110 FPS then in a split second I'm at 50 FPS. Like I said, it's consistent and happens every other second. I've tested different games that I own and they all react the same. When checking the performance tab in task manager, I've noticed that my CPU is acting in the same behavior, just consistent spikes. One second my CPU is at 8%, the next its upwards to 60%, then drops down to like 12% (even at idle!). I have a good feeling that it has something to do with my CPU, but the thing is that I've exhausted most options to fix it.

Things that I have tried:
Updated all drivers
Reseated CPU (No pins were bent and no scratches on CPU)
Replaced Thermal Paste
Checked CPU Temps (Temps were fine between 80-100°F)
Ran Multiple Virus Scans with Malewarebytes, avast, windows defender (All said 0 detections)
Reverted to an old version of Windows 10
Updated Windows 10
Reseated RAM
Checked Performance Monitor (Programs taking up the most CPU was Steam and windows explorer, both wouldn't reach 10%)

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core I5-9600K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 (2 x 8 gb) DDR4-3600 CL18
PSU: EVGA 600 BQ
Storage: Seagate 2 TB drive, Samsung 1TB SSD

I don't know what to do anymore and I don't want to take my computer somewhere. Anything helps! Thank you for your time!

EDIT: Here are some screenshots of my CPU without any programs opened:

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/qQZw2Xl

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yeah, don't do that. For Windows 10, you move forward, not backwards.

Updated Windows 10
Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Did you recreate your bootable installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? You also forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yeah, don't do that. For Windows 10, you move forward, not backwards.

Updated Windows 10
Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Did you recreate your bootable installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? You also forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

I was having a similar issue a couple months ago where I was getting consistent frame stutters in all games, I rolled back to the previous version of windows 10 and it was resolved. But here that's no longer true. This is the 3rd time something like this has happened and it's always a different problem.

As for my PSU, it's a EVGA 600 BQ