CPU Cooler Charts 2008: Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Zalman's CNPS9700 has held the top spot in the air-cooling category of our cooler charts for the past 18 months. We tested five other big-name coolers against the incumbent and were surprised to find that it'll be forced to share the spotlight.

CPU Cooler Charts 2008: Part 4 : Read more

Interesting review! Good to see so many factors presented so well. Someone needs to build a data base for what cooler fits in which case and MB though... I understand there are some problems with the Xigmatek blocking Dimm slot 0 when placed correctly for dual-core, on some boards... If so would likely apply to other 120MM coolers.

G

Hehe, this review makes me feel great, I bought this cooler about three months ago, for about $30 after rebate on Newegg, and its good to see I made not only the right choice, but the BEST choice POSSIBLE, as far as my bang for my buck!

leo2kp

Distinguished
I use the Thermaltake Big Typhoon and I never see it anymore on charts, but I understand it to be nearly as good as the Zalman 9700LED. My CPU idles at 30C and sits at 50C fully loaded (1st gen E6600 @ 3GHz), although I am using an upgraded fan. Anyway, I think the Big Typhoon should have been tested too =D

00mike000

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
who agrees that toms hardware should make a CPU and or VGA coolers chart to go in the chart section would be a great way to compare the majority of coolers out there

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
The temperatures are a bit higher than my experiences would suggest. However, they seem to be consistent so there is really no issue. It's probably just a difference in how the temperatures are measured and the calibration of my equipment. Still it would be interesting to see the variation in temperatures measured using several different methods.

I agree with mike, CPU/VGA cooler charts would be useful.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]JPForums[/nom]The temperatures are a bit higher than my experiences would suggest. However, they seem to be consistent so there is really no issue. It's probably just a difference in how the temperatures are measured and the calibration of my equipment. Still it would be interesting to see the variation in temperatures measured using several different methods.I agree with mike, CPU/VGA cooler charts would be useful.[/citation]
Calibration of equipment? Several different methods? Dude, match the room temperature in the first place. LOL

schwally

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
I put a scythe fan in mine that runs at a higher rpm, and nearly inaudible decibels. Keeps it cooler and quieter. My one problem with the cooler is the push pins. I know they sell the backing seperate, but it would be nice if it was all one. Anywho...

Fofo

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]I think the Thermalright extreme would beat them all why is it not used here? [/citation]

I am also curious to why it is not being used here, I am currently using one and I idle at 33 degrees with my CPU OCED Q9550 from 2.8-3.2ghz.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Hmmm... I have one of these ximatec coolers but I think it has a 120mm fan on it. Never heard the thing ramp up, it's installed in a phenom x4 rig. Maybe I should go look at my receipt and see what it is exactly but the picture looks identical.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I'll cast my "vote" for the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. I use it in the computers I build every day. Keeps q6600s @ 3.0 GHz down to 50-52c under load. Quiet as I need it to be as well. Ewiz sells them for $17, making it a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

schwally

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Probably because the cooler is a $60+ cooler. This is for less pricey coolers and the Thermalrights are out of the range.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
It'd be nice to have the OCZ Vendetta and Vendetta2 in the comparison. I got my Vendetta a while back for about $30 and its similar to the S1283 but it has a 92mm fan instead of the 120. Just curious how it compares to these others.

gaiden

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Overall very informative article. With that said I think the "INSTALLATION" category is not as important as say "CONTENTS". My reason being that INSTALLATION, to me and possibly others, is simply a matter of preferences and it's a ONE TIME PROCESS unlike noise and performance. Some dont mind Push-Pins setup while others such as myself NEEDED a bracket and Screws to ensure an Error-Free installation process. Yes i get that Push-Pin style are error free too but I preferred the 'overkill' process (take out the Mobo and install the brackets and screws-the whole 9 yd).

Moreover, Coolink and Zalman 9700 also requires underneath brackets but its score is alot higher than Thermalright IFX. I own both Zalman and the IFX 14 and both takes the same amount of screws in brackets (both seems painless) installing the retention bracket on the IFX may require a longer screwdriver but I cut myself in the fingers on the 9700 due the direction of the fins while IFX was rather painless. Regardless to its size the IFX isn't any harder to install then any other bracket retention coolers out there. IFX actually offers, arguably, better quality of installation due to that it has rubber rings for your screws for noise reduction as well as optional heatsink that extents from beneath the board. so Quality of the installation is a WHOLE LOT better than what other coolers offered, we all want Quality right?

I think there should be a CONTENT category instead because like what the article mentioned, some DONT come with all the brackets for the most used sockets. I think sometimes that is a deal-breaker to many due to the 'additional' purchases required as well as a not-very-nice surprise when you actually do get it then find out you have to spend more and wait for a number of days depends on stock and quality of the store you are buying from. (e.g. Thermalright XP-90, XP-120 doesnt come with the LGA 775 with some of these heatsink sellers dont even carry, i have to get mine bracket elsewhere because N@w@gg was out of stock)

BOTTOMLINE: INSTALLATION category deserves points but not all 10pts. TH should revisit of all these coolers and give them 1-5pts instead while score 1-5pts on their CONTENTS would make a lot more sense.

my 2cents

i guess im ready for flames? :p

gl

psycho@home

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
Thermalright should have had more coolers tested.I have an Ultima-90 with
an Intel 6300, stock 1.86Ghz, running at 3.4Ghz, and even running Crysis
never breaks 58C. The scoring weighted poorly too. Cooling performance
should count twice as much as installation or noise. Planning ahead, I
bought my cooler and Gigabyte board together, installation was a breeze
and the backing plate reduces strain on the board. Fantastic cooler, 6
heatpipes, 460 grams and very quiet. It tested very close to the
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and as well as the Ultra 120. I did have
to lap the bottom, not even close to smooth,but my results have to top
Anand's.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
@gaiden

"INSTALLATION category deserves points but not all 10pts. TH should revisit of all these coolers and give them 1-5pts instead while score 1-5pts on their CONTENTS would make a lot more sense."

I completely agree. Installation is one time only and contents matter (especially if you don't get everything you were expecting. It really sukz to delay your build on something like a piece of mounting hardware (or a fan) when those things are generally expected with a cooler) and who doesn't want to get to playing a new game asap when you probably were building it so you could play. :)

Wasn't my experience since I got a Vendetta, but I know the feeling.

zero2dash

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Probably because the cooler is a $60+ cooler. This is for less pricey coolers and the Thermalrights are out of the range.

The Zalman costs more than the TRUE at most websites. Why do they keep including it then if this is for budget coolers?

They've also reviewed compact liquid kits and the IFX-14, both of which are over $60.

The exclusion of the TRUE is getting pathetic, THG.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Proximon[/nom]Interesting review! Good to see so many factors presented so well. Someone needs to build a data base for what cooler fits in which case and MB though... I understand there are some problems with the Xigmatek blocking Dimm slot 0 when placed correctly for dual-core, on some boards... If so would likely apply to other 120MM coolers.[/citation]

I agree entirely (though each fan with each motherboard would be a ridiculous task). Especially since Tom's review on the new Nehalem architecture revealed that DIMM-0 MUST BE POPULATED. Boy, nothing would be better than buying a brand new system only to find out your gigantic cooler is worthless. I have read numerous reviews where people were forced to use DIMMs2-3 because DIMMs0-1 were blocked by their fan. Maybe motherboard manufacturers will place DIMM0 farthest from the CPU to prevent this on Nehalem.

[citation][nom]leo2kp[/nom]I use the Thermaltake Big Typhoon and I never see it anymore on charts, but I understand it to be nearly as good as the Zalman 9700LED. My CPU idles at 30C and sits at 50C fully loaded (1st gen E6600 @ 3GHz), although I am using an upgraded fan. Anyway, I think the Big Typhoon should have been tested too =D[/citation]

I also agree that I would like to see at least one Thermaltake cooler on here. I run my overclocked Athlon 5000+ BE on an all-copper mini-typhoon (92mm) and it never gets over 40C, and the fan idles at ~900RPM, which is completely inaudible.

Mante

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Gigabyte G-Power 2 Pro and Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme are missing, I think you guy should include it in the 5th cpu char. I've read all the other reviews and so far so good. Keep up the good work

G

Still no Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.. come on people .. get with it!

papabear

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
THG, this review is an insult to our intelligence.
To consider the Zalman 9700 on top for the last 18 months when there is TRUE and Tuniq T on the market is just plain ignorance. Not to talk about the new Core Contact Freezer ... I mean... could you guys came up with something more useless than this review? honestly now ...
For the readers of this review, guys, check frostytech.com for latest stuff. THG is riding the ignorance horse on this matter

Status
Not open for further replies.