[SOLVED] CPU Cooler for i7-7700

auronx62

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Hello,

I recently installed a new CPU cooler for my prebuilt PC from 2017. It is a VivoPC M32CD that runs an i7-7700 (non-K) + GTX 1080. Like everyone else, I've been gaming recently and in turn crapped out the stock cooler. I purchased a Noctua NH L9i (mainly because the tower itself did not fit anything else but a low profile fan) and it's been fine until I started getting these frame rate drops. I initially attributed to my internet because my latency shot up while the frames were dipping into the 20s. Finally decided to check on the temps and found out the following.

Looks like my idle temps are around 38-44C and when I game (COD:MW) it peaks at 100. Daily tasks (like web browsing/netflix) see a range of 60-65C. And when gaming I see the temps consistently in the 85-95C range. GPU temp maxes out at 83C. CPU fan maxes at 2400 RPM when gaming. Should I remove and reapply the thermal paste? I just installed this fan about 10 days ago. I hear i7-7700 runs pretty hot...but not like this...right? My PC has not crashed or turned off, although I know I shouldn't be using that as a marker. This seems really weird.

Anyone have any idea what may be wrong? Thanks in advance.

Solution
I recently installed a new CPU cooler for my prebuilt PC from 2017. It is a VivoPC M32CD that runs an i7-7700 (non-K) + GTX 1080.
VivoPC M32CD is not really meant to be made into high performance gaming pc. Case airflow is just abysmal.
For GT710/GT730 it's fine, but you have it upgraded to GTX 1080. Case airflow just can't handle it.

To alleviate airflow issues, you could install additional case fans. At least - one in front and one in rear position.

More sensible option would be upgrading case too - to more spacious/better cooled high-airflow model.

83-221-511-Z05.jpg

auronx62

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I guess the best option is to reapply the paste. I initially bought a 212 EVO but it not clear the case so I had to go back to a low profile fan. The Noctua fan came with that thermal paste you mentioned. I think I might have applied too much thermal paste. Def more than a pea size. I guess I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Last edited:
I guess the best option is to reapply the paste. I initially bought a 212 EVO but it not clear the case so I had to go back to a low profile fan. The Noctua fan came with that thermal paste you mentioned. I think I might have applied too much thermal paste. Def more than a pea size. I guess I'll give that a shot and see what happens.
If it's a Heatsink direct touch cooler, you might want to spread it into a thin spread or line in each heatsink base, to make it spread evenly.

I recently installed a new CPU cooler for my prebuilt PC from 2017. It is a VivoPC M32CD that runs an i7-7700 (non-K) + GTX 1080.
VivoPC M32CD is not really meant to be made into high performance gaming pc. Case airflow is just abysmal.
For GT710/GT730 it's fine, but you have it upgraded to GTX 1080. Case airflow just can't handle it.

To alleviate airflow issues, you could install additional case fans. At least - one in front and one in rear position.

More sensible option would be upgrading case too - to more spacious/better cooled high-airflow model.

83-221-511-Z05.jpg

Solution
Jan 3, 2020
I had a i7 7700 and ran it with stock cooler from intel and never had a problem with heat. Must be something with thermal paste like they were saying or not enough intake or exhaust flow

auronx62

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

83-221-511-Z05.jpg

I see. Thanks for the suggestions. So the higher core temps would be more attributed to poor airflow rather than improper installation of the cpu fan/thermal paste? Is that safe to assume?

I’m more likely to Frankenstein this PC since it’s from 2017 with limited capabilities to make upgrades and do a brand new build later on.

auronx62

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I had a i7 7700 and ran it with stock cooler from intel and never had a problem with heat. Must be something with thermal paste like they were saying or not enough intake or exhaust flow

The prebuilt didn’t even come with an intel branded cpu cooler. Was some some no name cpu cooler. I think it is now the airflow restriction (or lack of) causing the problem.

auronx62

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Moving pc into different case is not that complicated.
Specs of your pc are still very good. Doesn't seem like it would need any serious upgrades at this time
(except better airflow case - that is).

Yea, it definitely gets the job done. Other than some gaming (which I've been doing a ton of; aren't we all) and just regular web browsing it's suits my needs. Since the board is microatx, any case should suffice. Considering migrating the innards of this ASUS into my old Antec Nine Hundred mid tower. It's from 2011, but the fan and everything still works last I checked....

auronx62

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Update: I purchased 2 x 92mm fans (only size that would fit the tower and placed one in front and one in back. Reapplies thermal paste and the idle temp did drop down to the range of 20-30C which I wasn’t worried about. During gaming temps no longer reach 100C and instead start at 75c. During longer gaming periods (1+ hour) The max temp it reaches is 85C (with 1 core hitting 88C). As skynetrising surmised, the case is not built built for gaming and the fans alleviated some of the temp issues. Perhaps I’ll migrate it to another tower one day or add another side fan to better vents. Thanks all!