[SOLVED] CPU cooler has been mounted in reverse orientation ?

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Hello all,
I recently fried my motherboard, I eventually got warranty for it, the problem is my dealer mounted the cooler in reverse, with the heat sink fan facing the rear exhaust, the system seems to maintain it's temperature though. Is it OK?, I have three front 120mm fans and one rear 240mm fans, cooler is Antec A400

Solution
Verify that the airflow is directing cooler air towards the rear exhaust fan.
Dangle a tissue to check.
Looking at your photo, I think the fan was mounted as it is to clear front ram sticks.
Either way is perfectly fine, no need to change anything.

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need a picture of what you're seeing as reverse with respect to your chassis' make and model since not all cases are designed to have the same airflow path, some have them oriented with the fans exhausting the top(Silverstone).

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do you mind sharing pictures so we know exactly what you mean?

If it's like this then it's fine, not facing upwards. You want air mostly to flow in one direction from front of case where air is freshest.

6P2gyGKUrPLXCgGprv8Wfh-1200-80.jpg

I see that the fan is located on the "back" side of the CPU cooler tower, within a couple of inches of the exhaust fan.

Normally, it would be mounted on the opposite side, closer to the CPU, but there might be clearance issues? I'm not sure why the builder put the fan on the back side.

However...............the most important point is that the fan on the CPU cooler is in fact moving air toward the rear of the case....toward the case exhaust fan, and that both of those fans are moving air right to left in your picture.

You might notice a slight difference if you moved the CPU cooler fan to the opposite side (if it will fit)...................or maybe not notice any difference at all. You'd have to experiment.

I'd probably leave it as is UNLESS both fans are not blowing right to left in your picture.........moving air OUT of the case.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I see that the fan is located on the "back" side of the CPU cooler tower, within a couple of inches of the exhaust fan.

Normally, it would be mounted on the opposite side, closer to the CPU, but there might be clearance issues? I'm not sure why the builder put the fan on the back side.

However...............the most important point is that the fan on the CPU cooler is in fact moving air toward the rear of the case....toward the case exhaust fan, and that both of those fans are moving air right to left in your picture.

You might notice a slight difference if you moved the CPU cooler fan to the opposite side (if it will fit)...................or maybe not notice any difference at all. You'd have to experiment.

I'd probably leave it as is UNLESS both fans are not blowing right to left in your picture.........moving air OUT of the case.
I checked the temperature via AMD cpu control master, the temperature seems to be as same as the original orientation. Like idle 43-50 and high 75 while gaming, it's an ryzen 5 3600

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
The CPU temp probably won't change, but if it is blowing in the "wrong" direction (left to right), this may affect the temps of other components.
It's an X570 board and the gpu is mounted below the heat sink, and there is an m. 2 sandwiched between the gpu and sink, there is a small chipset fan which is mounted in the board front.