Question CPU cooler not working?

Aug 11, 2019
Hi all,

Was pondering having a try at overclocking my 6700k as i have water cooling and play alot of VR so some extra performance would be great but found some issues before i even started

My idle temp is 65c...high right? i have the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate CPU cooler so something must be wrong right? Fans seem to be working maybe its due a thermal paste update? ( been 2.5 years since i brought the PC

I have just installed a 2080TI to replace my 1080TI surley that would not cause such a issue?

Thanks guys!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
High idle temps usually leads to bad cooler mount, but your radiator is overdue for a cleaning.
It's probably both though.
All that dust buildup does affect it's ability to disperse heat! Try to clean the rad like every 6 months - or even once a year, but letting it go that long until you start seeing high temps is too much.
Remove the cooler from the cpu, and the fans from the radiator, get a can of compressed air and blow that rad out!

Reactions: flightboy11
Aug 11, 2019
High idle temps usually leads to bad cooler mount, but your radiator is overdue for a cleaning.
It's probably both though.
All that dust buildup does affect it's ability to disperse heat! Try to clean the rad like every 6 months - or even once a year, but letting it go that long until you start seeing high temps is too much.
Remove the cooler from the cpu, and the fans from the radiator, get a can of compressed air and blow that rad out!

Thanks! TBH i had cleaned out the other fans when i installed the 2080TI as it was super dusty so maybe it just needs removing and cleaning will check it tomorrow thanks!