[SOLVED] CPU cooler pressure

Nov 15, 2018
So recently I tried to replace my stock CPU cooler with a aftermarket one (hyperevo 212). However, once I had it on, my PC would turn on for two seconds, no Bois but all the fans spins, then immediately it turns it self off. This constantly repeats unless I manually turn it off. I've done almost everything that has been advice before, unscrew the motherboard then got it as barebone as possible. Unistalled the CPU cooler to make sure I was following I did all the steps correctly, still nothing. Decided to give up and put back on the stock cooler. It booted up normal and worked perfectly. So my question is it possible that I'm screwing the cooler to tightly? If so what is the recommended amount of force for this cooler?

Solution
I doubt you could tighten the 212 EVO too tight. If you installed the X-bracket correctly and the rest of the parts, the 4 mounting screws are designed to be screwed all the way in until they bottom out. Don't leave them loose. That will make for poor contact between CPU and heat sink.

What motherboard is the 212 EVO mounted to?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt you could tighten the 212 EVO too tight. If you installed the X-bracket correctly and the rest of the parts, the 4 mounting screws are designed to be screwed all the way in until they bottom out. Don't leave them loose. That will make for poor contact between CPU and heat sink.

What motherboard is the 212 EVO mounted to?

Solution
Nov 15, 2018

Nov 15, 2018
I have re/unistalled multiple times the cooler. meticulously following the instruction paper and even watch a YouTube video, stopping whenever I felt I was doing something wrong. Even when doing this the problem keeps persisting. currently I'm using a "z370 aorus ultra gaming" motherboard.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Very strange. So as it sits now, the PC won't boot with the 212 EVO, but works fine with the stock cooler? Is it possible that the 212 EVO's backplate straddling the socket plate on the back of the board is hitting something that is keeping the feet from laying flat on the board?