Question CPU cooler vs thermal paste problem

digitalio

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
I've applied new thermal paste to my CPU cooler (i7-4790k, Arctic MX4, CoolerMaster 120mm water cooler) as it was old and my CPU was heating to ~43C in idle mode and now getting 31/30/29/26C; however, when I run a torture test the temperature gets all the way up to 99C, what is uncool.
I wonder if this is a sign that I didn't apply the paste properly?

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
I just replaced my 5 year old AIO cooler for this reason. CPU would spike and thermal throttle. Get a new cooler, clean off the old thermal paste with some 99% ISO and put on the new cooler.

Most people on this forum will recommend a good air cooler, like the Noctua

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What torture test? If using Prime95 with that cpu then it needs to be v26.6 small fft. Any version after that uses AVX (and a few others) which will drive the cpu to @ 130% supposed loads andvseriously unrealistic temps. Since games don't use AVX or AVX2 or FMA3 or AVX512, then having them run in a torture test is counter productive.
26.6 small fft gives a 100% consistent load thats equitable to what you'd get running games.

If you ran Prime95 29.4 and got 99°C, then you'd be looking at closer to 70ish°C with 26.6, at a more accurate gaming max temp.

digitalio

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
That sounds like too much hassle for now. I undervolted it a bit, this seems to have solved the problem. Never gets above 90.
By the way, why air cooler? I just don't like them because they block access to all the slots on the motherboard.

digitalio

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
What torture test? If using Prime95 with that cpu then it needs to be v26.6 small fft. Any version after that uses AVX (and a few others) which will drive the cpu to @ 130% supposed loads andvseriously unrealistic temps. Since games don't use AVX or AVX2 or FMA3 or AVX512, then having them run in a torture test is counter productive.
26.6 small fft gives a 100% consistent load thats equitable to what you'd get running games.
That's interesting. So, with v26.6 I'm getting 76C max. Sounds good enough for me.

Air coolers rarily ever go bad, unlike liquid cooling that has a short lifetime untill it eventually fails. I would replace the aio anyhow with that age. I have seen aging aios leak suddenly and kill motherboards and gpus. I also have seen aio pumps fail and cause unexpected overheating and shutdowns. Air coolers never have this troble if kept dust free.