CPU Cooling problems

Jul 14, 2018
I have been having issues with my CPU cooler after I upgraded to a i7 7700k, I bought a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3i to try to help the CPU stay below 80c while I am playing and it still goes above 80c frequently, the problem is I don't know if to upgrade the CPU Cooler to a DARK ROCK 4 or if to buy more powerful chassi fans.

Spec
MOBO - ASUS z170 Gaming Pro
GPU - GTX 960
CPU - I7 7700K
RAM - 16GB Vengeance 3000hz

and for chassi fans I have 2 12v fans, one at the back, one at the top, I just can't decide if it is worth buying a new CPU cooler after just buying the coolermasters or if I need to buy a even more powerful CPU cooler than the POWER ROCK 4.

The cooler you currently have is okay so long as you are not overclocking. I would add at least 1 more fan as an intake from the front....It certainly wont hurt to get a better CPU cooler and the Dark Rock 4 is good.

Hitting 80 degrees whilst playing games makes me think that the CPU cooler is not on properly. One thing I would do first is take the cooler of the CPU and reapply TIM (MX4 or something similar) and then check temps again as 80 degrees C is to high just for gaming.

Jul 14, 2018

My case doesn't have ventilation at the front only at the top, should I still buy better fans for the top or still use the front?

Jul 14, 2018

I am using the M909 Vega White, I could move my top fan one over to the right so it's above the CPU if that's what you mean?

Okay, I have seen your case now and understand. Yes move the one top fan you have over to the CPU blowing air in. The rear fan will blow the hot air out.

Also take your CPU cooler off and reapply the thermal paste as I believe that could be the main problem.

Jul 14, 2018

Okay ill do that right now, thank you for the help!

Jul 14, 2018

It cooled it down a little but not much, I have a feeling its a combination of my room being around 35-40c and the case for having much ventilation, I think I am going to go ahead and buy the POWER ROCK 4 just so I have a more reliable, upgraded cooler just incase I do anything in the future. Thank you so much for the help!