CPU copper block corroded by thermal paste?

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018
Hi all,

My i7 8700k is currently being cooled by the Evga clc 280mm AIO.
This AIO have been in use for only 1 month.

Before putting it on the IHS, I removed the stock EVGAthermal paste (Shin Etsu I believe) and replaced that with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (NOT the Conductonaut liquid metal version).

The problem is, yesterday I took my AIO out to re-apply the thermal paste (because I applied too little the first time).
While cleaning the AIO's Copper cpu block (the one that makes contact with the IHS), I notice there are a lot of "surface roughness" and very small indentation / surface imperfection on it.

It looks as if the copper block was being corroded or eaten by the thermal paste.Anyway, it was definitely and visually not as smooth as before (you can even see it without using your finger to feel it).How is this possible? Plus it is only 1 month in use!

Have anybody experienced this? Can I use the EVGA warranty to replace this AIO?

are any pictures possible?

You can try to get an RMA with EVGA but based on your story it would be the thermal paste that caused it. They could say they only guarantee their paste to be compatible and that you used another paste at your own risk.

Chemistry is a funny thing, sometimes.

thtran6

Upstanding
Oct 2, 2018

I will update this thread with a picture tomorrow when I take the chip out to send to silicon for delidding.
As far as the AIO goes, it's still working splendid. I didn't see anything wrong with temp at all.
But you know, the fact that the "corrosion" happens to the copper block when using the Kryonaut just annoys me, because it makes zero sense T___T

TRENDING THREADS