[SOLVED] CPU Core 0 Constantly at 100% usage.

Tiger War

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Hey so I have a HP Omen 17 gaming laptop (2017 edition) and Ive noticed that whenever I start up the pc, I open the task managers and in performance I see that my CPU Core 0 is being utilized 100%, like its all blue. All my other cores work normally, I have 8 cores in total my CPU is an i7 7700HQ. Ive searched long and hard on the internet for a solution but nothing worked, I found a person who had a similar problem to mine and he fixed his by switching a diagnostic pin next to his HDD Caddy. I opened up my laptop but it doesnt have a HDD Caddy so I dont know why this is happening to my PC. In task manager the program using the most CPU is "System" and inside it is a program called "ntoskrnl.exe". Another weird thing is that if I restart my PC on the spot, then the Core 0 goes back to normal just like the other cores but when I shut down my pc and start it up again, then it goes back to using it again at a 100%. If anyone can guide me with this, my main issue is, if core 0 being used at a 100% is gonna cause problems with gaming on my laptop. Any help would be appreciated.

Tiger War

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
A lot of things happen at startup - system patches are added, restore points made - it could easily require 1 core especially if you have the items in Task Scheduler like Virus Scan. Driver updates etc.
I understand but Ive basically reset my PC and did a clean install of windows and it still didnt fix this. I dont have any type of antivirus installed, just the normal Windows Security that comes with the OS, all my drivers are updated, ive checked multiple times. Im completely blank as to what could cause this. Im worried if its some sort of hardware failure and its worse that I dont even know which hardware could be causing this in the first place.

might be HP bloatware or Windows telemetry as well

I understand but Ive basically reset my PC and did a clean install of windows and it still didnt fix this. I dont have any type of antivirus installed, just the normal Windows Security that comes with the OS, all my drivers are updated, ive checked multiple times. Im completely blank as to what could cause this. Im worried if its some sort of hardware failure and its worse that I dont even know which hardware could be causing this in the first place.

DaBible82

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I had this problem years ago with a Windows 7 PC. I simply started task manager, went to processes tab, clicked the CPU. It'll put the one using the most CPU first (or last if you hit it twice) and if it's software you're not using at the moment or one you don't need to run in the background, end the task. Or don't, up to you but, at least you'll know. My problem was always Rundll that I always had to manually end the task after closing out most games. Drove me nuts but, simple enough.

Feb 6, 2020
might be HP bloatware or Windows telemetry as well
Telemetry causing this is unlikely. I've never seen any of the telemetry modules use any more than 10-15% of a core, and that usually WCT data being sent. On an i7 of any recency I highly doubt it's telemetry causing it, even if the paranoia surrounding it has basis in reality. What telemetry CAN do is hammer the disk while it's gathering data.

Reactions: DaBible82