Question CPU Core #2 Temperature higher than other after delid

Zahirrudin

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
hi...

today i manage to deliding my CPU i7-7700k and able to reduce temperature around 20 degrees C.

but i'm just aware that the Core#2 temperature is higher around 10 degrees C compare to other cores.

any advice to solve this and what is the possible cause? tq

AFTER DELID

xZwq70i.jpg
cyuUb6zm.jpg

BEFORE DELID

u0556jZ.jpg
cA8PT0am.jpg

Last edited:

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Hi Zahirrudin

Looking at your screenshots Core #2 looks hotter before the delid as well as after, so it might just be a lower quality core/higher stress on that core. Also what could have happened is sometimes modern processors such as this one can have their clock speeds automatically increased by the motherboard to a safe limit that they can run at. This could cause slight differences in quality between cores more noticeable as the temperatures rise.

When you did the delid, what kind of thermal compound did you use? It could be that too little was applied and it didn't quite spread over that core, or that too much was applied and the core has an insulating blanket of thermal compound.

Regards

Zahirrudin

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Hi Zahirrudin

Looking at your screenshots Core #2 looks hotter before the delid as well as after, so it might just be a lower quality core/higher stress on that core. Also what could have happened is sometimes modern processors such as this one can have their clock speeds automatically increased by the motherboard to a safe limit that they can run at. This could cause slight differences in quality between cores more noticeable as the temperatures rise.

When you did the delid, what kind of thermal compound did you use? It could be that too little was applied and it didn't quite spread over that core, or that too much was applied and the core has an insulating blanket of thermal compound.

Regards

thermal grizzly conductonaut. not sealing IHS with high temp silicone rtv. just CPU bracket clamp.

maybe too much was applied could be the reason. thanks...

CAqYoI9.jpg

Last edited:

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
thermal grizzly conductonaut. not sealing IHS. just CPU bracket clamp.

maybe too much was applied could be the reason. thanks...

CAqYoI9.jpg

No problem, you can always try less and your PC will let you know if the processor isn't being cooled properly! I tried the same and my temperatures reached 80+ degrees C with max fans and it turned itself off to save itself. With thermal paste or compound, sometimes less is more.

Zahirrudin

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
No problem, you can always try less and your PC will let you know if the processor isn't being cooled properly! I tried the same and my temperatures reached 80+ degrees C with max fans and it turned itself off to save itself. With thermal paste or compound, sometimes less is more.

thanks Guy..solved...i did found the liquid metal spread out onto substrate as per red marking below (forget to snap a pic). after reclaim back some liquid metal and eliminate a 'pool'..it perform much better...even overclock further to 5ghz@1.36v it just over 70 deg C...except the Core#2 still higher even though now only around 5 deg C. maybe if I upgrade from current kraken m22 will get even cooler. :)

Qtcp9Thh.jpg

XBDfJksh.jpg

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
thanks Guy..solved...i did found the liquid metal spread out onto substrate as per red marking below (forget to snap a pic). after reclaim back some liquid metal and eliminate a 'pool'..it perform much better...even overclock further to 5ghz@1.36v it just over 70 deg C...except the Core#2 still higher even though now only around 5 deg C. maybe if I upgrade from current kraken m22 will get even cooler. :)

Qtcp9Thh.jpg

XBDfJksh.jpg
Wow that is amazing news! Some cores just run hotter normally so you may have a completely fixed problem! Happy for you :)