Question CPU Core Temps Overheating even while idle

Aug 13, 2022
I had a buddy build my PC 8 or so months ago. Computer has been fine until the last month where it now seems to have an overheating problem.
I have the case open, it's spotless, fan speeds are at max, put new thermal paste on CPU and liquid cooler, and nothing has changed since day 1!

When I boot up the PC, temps will bounce in the 90c's or max out entirely hitting critical. After 5-10 minutes they'll cool to 40-50's.
If I play anything, or literally use the PC in any capacity they'll shoot right back up.

Currently have an Intel Core I9 10900K and a MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI (MS-7D06).

Please let me know what other info is needed. I can't find an answer online that actually works for my situation..

What model cpu cooler?
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

With AIO liquid coolers, they are not forever.
CPU block can get clogged, pump can fail.
Since AIOs are not user serviceable, with broken AIO your only option is to replace it.

Aug 13, 2022
What model cpu cooler?
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

With AIO liquid coolers, they are not forever.
CPU block can get clogged, pump can fail.
Since AIOs are not user serviceable, with broken AIO your only option is to replace it.
View: https://imgur.com/a/h7a9cxX

Here is a few pictures of the setup. I know the AIO has a 3 year warranty so that would be an easy fix.

Model is MSI MAG Series CORELIQUID 360R, 360mm

Model is MSI MAG Series CORELIQUID 360R, 360mm
Pump is in the radiator. You can not put radiator at top position (or air gets into the pump, liquid flow gets disrupted and pump eventually dies).
Radiator has to be front mounted (hoses connected to bottom portion of the radiator).
Make sure air buble doesn't travel to cpu block. Bubble has to stay at upper portion of the radiator.

If pump was located in cpu block, then your radiator placement would be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: uWebb429
Aug 13, 2022
Pump is in the radiator. You can not put radiator at top position (or air gets into the pump, liquid flow gets disrupted and pump eventually dies).
Radiator has to be front mounted (hoses connected to bottom portion of the radiator).
Make sure air buble doesn't travel to cpu block. Bubble has to stay at upper portion of the radiator.

If pump was located in cpu block, then your radiator placement would be fine.
So with the case i'm using I don't believe you can front mount it. The case has two massive built in fans in front and the frame doesn't seem like it would support mounting of the radiator. Any other options? It seems the top is the only place to mount it..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So with the case i'm using I don't believe you can front mount it.
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mid-tower/mastercase-h500m/#specifications
Yes, you can, but it matters little here, because...

Any other options? It seems the top is the only place to mount it..
You return it and get your money back. These coolers have a problem with contaminated coolant, on top of their particular mounting options.
It also appears that the Coreliquid Version 2s don't circumvent the dirty coolant problem either.

If for some reason you can't return it, then you'll have to eat the cost and buy another cooler...

So with the case i'm using I don't believe you can front mount it. The case has two massive built in fans in front and the frame doesn't seem like it would support mounting of the radiator. Any other options? It seems the top is the only place to mount it..
Unfortunately this means - your AIO is not compatible with your pc case.
You'll have to change one of them.

Either case, that allows front mounting of the radiator or
AIO with pump in cpu block.

BTW - what model pc case is that? Is PSU shroud of your case removable?