Question cpu crashing whilst running software

The Vic

Commendable
Jun 5, 2020
hi everyone,

backstory: professional online poker player and i use this software to solve mathematical equations. the program lets you choose how many threads it utilizes (more threads the quicker it solves obviously) and is RAM intensive. i leave it on for several hours at a time, people do it overnight and no issues. i did this with my ryzen 5 3600 and never had any issues. last week i upgraded to a 5900x and when i've left the house for a few hours i come back and windows has shut itself down which is bizarre. i then tried it again reducing the #threads used and it happened again...

this was the error msg when i went to check what crashed it both times:
'The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a (0x0000000000000403, 0xffffbe8104abcc10, 0x8100000266f62867, 0xffffbe8104fda000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 8e967f95-933d-4ce3-b9c0-a167067a9ee4.'

1) does anyone have any idea what the cause of this is? have a pretty high end MOBO and 1000w PSU so not sure if there's possibly a BIOS override setting or killswitch?

it is worth prefacing that when i'm running this software the CPU% is essentially close to 100% as is the memory but bit miffed as to why i never had this issue with a far inferior CPU.

specs:
-5900x
  • gigabyte aorus pro x570 wifi
  • 32GB g skill
  • aorus waterforce x360 AIO

any feedback is much appreciated

hi everyone,

backstory: professional online poker player and i use this software to solve mathematical equations. the program lets you choose how many threads it utilizes (more threads the quicker it solves obviously) and is RAM intensive. i leave it on for several hours at a time, people do it overnight and no issues. i did this with my ryzen 5 3600 and never had any issues. last week i upgraded to a 5900x and when i've left the house for a few hours i come back and windows has shut itself down which is bizarre. i then tried it again reducing the #threads used and it happened again...

'The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001a (0x0000000000000403, 0xffffbe8104abcc10, 0x8100000266f62867, 0xffffbe8104fda000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 8e967f95-933d-4ce3-b9c0-a167067a9ee4.'

1) does anyone have any idea what the cause of this is? have a pretty high end MOBO and 1000w PSU so not sure if there's possibly a BIOS override setting or killswitch?

it is worth prefacing that when i'm running this software the CPU% is essentially close to 100% as is the memory but bit miffed as to why i never had this issue with a far inferior CPU.

specs:
-5900x
  • gigabyte aorus pro x570 wifi
  • 32GB g skill
  • aorus waterforce x360 AIO

any feedback is much appreciated
Proper bios and chipset driver?

The Vic

Commendable
Jun 5, 2020
Temperatures on CPU are the first thing to check.

You can probably use a program listed here <link> to monitor what happens to the temperature of the CPU while you run your number crunching software.
yeh i use hwinfo and it never gets above 75c whilst im running and i doubt it'd start hitting 90c+ after a few hours?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
hi everyone,

You can upload the minidump (*.DMP) file and share link here so we can have a look.

What exact brand model PSU do you have and how old?

What is the model number of the RAM stick/sticks? If more than one did they come as a 'kit' or, did you add to previous RAM with the CPU upgrade parhaps?

The Vic

Commendable
Jun 5, 2020
You can upload the minidump (*.DMP) file and share link here so we can have a look.

What exact brand model PSU do you have and how old?

What is the model number of the RAM stick/sticks? If more than one did they come as a 'kit' or, did you add to previous RAM with the CPU upgrade parhaps?

hey,

• PSU is corsair RM 1000x and i bought it start of the orig covid so 2 yearsish or so old?
  • RAM model is:
F4-3600C19D-32GTRG
G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32GB (2x16GB), PC4-28800 (3600MHz) DDR4, 19-20-20-40, 1.35v, Dual Channel Kit, Gold TZ Royal Heatsink

never added additional RAM in kept these when i upgraded CPU

- how do i uploade a file onto this forum? cant seem to find the option to insert a file?.

thanks again

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
hey,

• PSU is corsair RM 1000x and i bought it start of the orig covid so 2 yearsish or so old?
  • RAM model is:
F4-3600C19D-32GTRG
G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32GB (2x16GB), PC4-28800 (3600MHz) DDR4, 19-20-20-40, 1.35v, Dual Channel Kit, Gold TZ Royal Heatsink

never added additional RAM in kept these when i upgraded CPU

- how do i uploade a file onto this forum? cant seem to find the option to insert a file?.

thanks again
No problem. Yes I though maybe you had 16GB and when upgraded CPU added another 16GB or something like that. If it came as a 'kit' it probably OK.

You can run memtest86 to check RAM from here. Make a bootable USB flash and check RAM one stick at a time. Go fo the 4 passes the free version allows and you should have 0 errors when the passes run their course.

Even a single error would mean bad RAM. I suggest you do this over night as it takes a few hours to complete.

As for the dump file you need to upload to some file sharing service like dropbox, google drive or OneDrive etc and post link here. Make sure you make the link public so others can actually access it.

The Vic

Commendable
Jun 5, 2020
trying to put the mem dump file in dropbox but ive sent it to desktop and it says that files a shortcut and is tiny kb as opposed to where actual file is its 1GB. will that still be viewable on everyones end if the file type is shortcut?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If the size of the dump is 1GB it's not a minidump. Minidumps are stored in C:\Windows\Minidump. If the file is in there it's a minidump and they're usually arround 300-400KB (Kilobytes) and their files names include the date on which the BSOD happened.

When the dump you have is called MEMORY.dmp and is in C:\Windows\ (as you said above) it's a Memory dump. Those are large files sharing which is well so time and space consuming.

Windows doesn't deafult to them and you actually have to set Windows to drop minidumps. I thought maybe you had already done that.
Type sysdm.cpl in Windows search box. In windows that opens go to Advanced Tab and then click Settings in Startup and Recovery section. Then enable:
Write an event to the system log
Automatically restart
Writing debugging information -> Small memory dump (256kb). Like this:
View: https://imgur.com/eYdRir8

Next time there's a BSOD the system will drop a minidump in C:\Windows\Minidump and you can easily share that small file.

The Vic

Commendable
Jun 5, 2020
If the size of the dump is 1GB it's not a minidump. Minidumps are stored in C:\Windows\Minidump. If the file is in there it's a minidump and they're usually arround 300-400KB (Kilobytes) and their files names include the date on which the BSOD happened.

When the dump you have is called MEMORY.dmp and is in C:\Windows\ (as you said above) it's a Memory dump. Those are large files sharing which is well so time and space consuming.

Windows doesn't deafult to them and you actually have to set Windows to drop minidumps. I thought maybe you had already done that.
Type sysdm.cpl in Windows search box. In windows that opens go to Advanced Tab and then click Settings in Startup and Recovery section. Then enable:
Write an event to the system log
Automatically restart
Writing debugging information -> Small memory dump (256kb). Like this:
View: https://imgur.com/eYdRir8

Next time there's a BSOD the system will drop a minidump in C:\Windows\Minidump and you can easily share that small file.
awesome thanks for the help! will i still be able to locate the last time my PC crashed or wait again for it to happen to get this small memory dump?