Question CPU Debug LED flashes for a split-second then disappears ?

Jul 1, 2022
Hey all.
I have a huge issue involving my PC.
After trying to turn on my PC all of the fans went full throttle for couple of seconds before the whole system shutdown.
At first I thought it was overheating since it's summer and the heatwaves where I live are insufferable. So I decided to give it a quick clean with compressed air without disconnecting any cable inside the tower. After that when I tried to power it on it simply flashed red CPU debug light for split second after which it completely shuts down. I disconnected CPU power and noticed that only then fans start spinning and LEDs on mobo work.

Things I tried:

• Reseating CPU
  • Minimal boot aka only CPU and RAM stick
  • Checking ram sticks one by one
  • Paper clip test for PSU.

I'm stumped, no clue what's the issue, my main suspect at the moment is motherboard since it doesn't give me any beeps when you try to power the PC without ram sticks.
I have no way of testing my CPU on different setup so it could also be a culprit.
I ordered new motherboard to test it out but I will have to wait 4 days.
If there is anything I missed please let me know.

Components:
MSI B150 Gaming M3 mobo
CORSAIR VS550 PSU
Asus GeForce GTX 960 OC 4Gb
I5-6500 CPU with stock cooler
HyperX Fury 2x4 GB ram

Edit: Tested with different PSU, same results.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Paper clip test for PSU.
That test does not tell you how much power the PSU can effectively output towards the entire system.

CORSAIR VS550 PSU
How old is the PSU in your build? You might want to source a donor PSU that's build reliably and has at least 550W at the entire PSU's disposal.

Tested with different PSU
Make and model of the PSU used for testing as well as it's age? What did the PSU power up prior to you testing it on your build?

Jul 1, 2022
Test
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Paper clip test for PSU.
That test does not tell you how much power the PSU can effectively output towards the entire system.

CORSAIR VS550 PSU
How old is the PSU in your build? You might want to source a donor PSU that's build reliably and has at least 550W at the entire PSU's disposal.

Tested with different PSU
Make and model of the PSU used for testing as well as it's age? What did the PSU power up prior to you testing it on your build?
Main PSU is really old, 6 years to be exact.
The other PSU I tested it with was Corsair VX550W, which to my knowledge was in a box 2 days ago and only taken out for testing.