[SOLVED] cpu doa

Dec 18, 2019
so this is a really weird scenario, but i believe my ryzen 5 cpu i bought 4 days ago and got yesterday was doa. nothing was wrong with my computer and my old ryzen 3 1300x worked with the system fine. i put in the ryzen 5 1600 and nothing. so i tried reseating it. still nothing. i tried putting in my old cpu. got a boot. i was working on taking the fan off for the 1300x when my elbow knocked my ryzen 5 off the table. this wasn’t major damage only like 10 minor bends and 1 serious bend. probably fixable if you dedicated like an hour or 2 to try and fix it. but i don’t really want to do that. so what do i do? the pins are bent so i can’t send it back to see if the cpu is dead or not but if i just get the pins fixed i’m still sure the cpus dead. so what do i do?

Solution
you bent them after your first install?

there's a possibility that your motherboard only needs a BIOS update to run this CPU, it may not be DOA.
there's also a possibility that your current RAM is not compatible, newer AMD chips are very finicky about RAM for some reason. check the compatibility list for this specific CPU model and verify yours is listed.

to return the CPU you have two options it seems; to straighten the pins yourself or have a local shop do it for you.
i have done it myself a few times and has always worked out fine but it can be a very delicate process. i always have used a sanitized small flat-head screwdriver and very carefully very slowly with very little pressure pushed them back into place.
there's a chance...
you bent them after your first install?

there's a possibility that your motherboard only needs a BIOS update to run this CPU, it may not be DOA.
there's also a possibility that your current RAM is not compatible, newer AMD chips are very finicky about RAM for some reason. check the compatibility list for this specific CPU model and verify yours is listed.

to return the CPU you have two options it seems; to straighten the pins yourself or have a local shop do it for you.
i have done it myself a few times and has always worked out fine but it can be a very delicate process. i always have used a sanitized small flat-head screwdriver and very carefully very slowly with very little pressure pushed them back into place.
there's a chance that by doing it yourself it will not turn out absolutely perfect and the RMA/return will be rejected upon inspection. though the chip could still function.
if done by a local shop it could/should be guaranteed, so if the RMA/return were denied the shop may be responsible for replacing it or maybe just verifying that it would still function for your own use. if you have it done elsewhere, check around for price estimates and guarantees.

Solution
Once you damage the pins, your RMA options are very much somewhat shot anyway, so you have little to lose by carefully research options to straighten the pins...
(Even if the pin breaks, there is at least a fair chance that it could be an unused or not critical pin, as many voltage supplying pins are redundant for overall current-carrying capacity)