Question CPU draws 65 watts power at idle ?

Syn89

Commendable
Feb 10, 2021
Hello. I have an i9 11900k set to 4.7 Ghz all core and 1.17V. The Cpu is stable with these settings, and at full load temps are good, better than stock settings. My only problem is that even at idle the CPU draws 60-65W of power, at 0% ussage. I tried ussing stock settings and i have the same power ussage.... i don't have a lot of programs running in the background, just the minimum i need, like i said CPU at idle is 0-1% ussage, just high power consumption. What could cause this?

Hello. I have an i9 11900k set to 4.7 Ghz all core and 1.17V.
I don't even know what that is, but i will check. Does C state only affect idle power draw or at load as well?
C states will reduce clocks if not needed, like at idle, so it can save on power.
ALso with your settings you are losing a lot of performance for no reason.
I tried ussing stock settings and i have the same power ussage....
What your mobo has as stock, or did you actually input the intel recommended settings, because the stock for mobos is to dial everything up to eleven.

Does C state only affect idle power draw or at load as well?
The low power C states reduce power consumption anytime a core is not 100% loaded. Many tasks only load 1 or 2 cores of an 8 core CPU. Having unused cores idle in the core C7 state reduces power consumption and reduces heat.

SvMciab.png

When idle at the desktop, my cores average about 99% of the time in C7.

at idle the CPU draws 60-65W of power
You either have something significant running in the background that you are not aware of or all of the low power C states are disabled. Here are 10 cores at 5000 MHz. Idle power consumption is next to nothing. The low idle temps confirm the low power consumption.

0MZGE7z.png

Reactions: CompuTronix