Question CPU (EDC) goes yellow right away

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Hello. I have an AMD 5-3600 with a Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 cooler with an Asus Tuf B450 Gaming MB. All the PC parts are hooked up sitting on the top of my desk. I decided to try Heavy Load (64-bit) and using AMD Ryzen Master the CPU temp showed low sitting on my desk and all. Right away the EDC (CPU) jumped to the yellow and I shut it down ASAP.

I cannot find any info on EDC and how to go about protecting my CPU. I used a thermal pad and not thermal compound, that may be part of it. If I need a better cooler that is fine. I'd just like to get this all assembled.

thanks

Last edited:
be sure no conducting things are underneath the motherboard

which thermal pad are you using? thermal paste should be used nonetheless

The BIOS of the motherboard is up to date? Which version is it?

Did you overclock the CPU?

All drivers installed for the motherboard from ASUS?

Hello. I have an AMD 5-3600 with a Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 cooler with an Asus Tuf B450 Gaming MB. All the PC parts are hooked up sitting on the top of my desk. I decided to try Heavy Load (64-bit) and using AMD Ryzen Master the CPU temp showed low sitting on my desk and all. Right away the EDC (CPU) jumped to the yellow and I shut it down ASAP.

I cannot find any info on EDC and how to go about protecting my CPU. I used a thermal pad and not thermal compound, that may be part of it. If I need a better cooler that is fine. I'd just like to get this all assembled.

thanks
It's no cause for alarm, only when it hits 100% and stays there for long time It's just amount of power supplying the CPU, higher the load more Amps it needs.

Reactions: keef_ca

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
be sure no conducting things are underneath the motherboard

which thermal pad are you using? thermal paste should be used nonetheless

The BIOS of the motherboard is up to date? Which version is it?

Did you overclock the CPU?

All drivers installed for the motherboard from ASUS?
As hard as I try, I leave out the obvious. The MB is brand new, I'd have to reboot to get the bios version. All I can dig up from Windows 10 is that the SMBIOS is 2.8 7/29/19. The cpu is not overclocked. Everything is stock Windows, nothing fancy at all.

I used Innovation Graphics thermal pad. I thought using the pad meant no paste was needed?

The board is sitting on the shipped anti static bag on the mb box.

thanks

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
It's no cause for alarm, only when it hits 100% and stays there for long time It's just amount of power supplying the CPU, higher the load more Amps it needs.

Well I did not wait long enough to see if I stayed yellow or just peaked and then dropped. 'll wait a few seconds and see if it settles down.

thanks

As hard as I try, I leave out the obvious. The MB is brand new, I'd have to reboot to get the bios version. All I can dig up from Windows 10 is that the SMBIOS is 2.8 7/29/19. The cpu is not overclocked. Everything is stock Windows, nothing fancy at all.

I used Innovation Graphics thermal pad. I thought using the pad meant no paste was needed?

The board is sitting on the shipped anti static bag on the mb box.

thanks
Yes, can't mix thermal pads and paste, it's either one but not both. EDC is not an indication of temperature but electrical current.
For BIOS version you can use CPU-Z https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html Aida https://www.aida64.com/ or many other programs like that.

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Well I did not wait long enough to see if I stayed yellow or just peaked and then dropped. 'll wait a few seconds and see if it settles down.

thanks

Well with Heavy Load at 100% of cpu only the EDC dial goes to 88% and stays there. Just to give me some comfort, would a better cooler(be quiet! BK2009 or Noctua NH-U12S) and thermal paste help that number.

thanks

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Yes, can't mix thermal pads and paste, it's either one but not both. EDC is not an indication of temperature but electrical current.
For BIOS version you can use CPU-Z https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html Aida https://www.aida64.com/ or many other programs like that.

I was all wrapped up in heat and I forgot about cpuz. It reports bios version 1804.

Well if it not a thermal situation how do I get this lower?I do not game overclock or do anything heavy graphics, just email, surf and manage family photo's. It could hit 90-100 and I'd never know if I do not constantly monitor the stats. It's impossible for me to get any real results under Linux, they are always widely off.

Looking in AMD Ryzen Master I see I can set the upper limit or EDC if I get into overclocking.

thanks

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
I was all wrapped up in heat and I forgot about cpuz. It reports bios version 1804.

Well if it not a thermal situation how do I get this lower?I do not game overclock or do anything heavy graphics, just email, surf and manage family photo's. It could hit 90-100 and I'd never know if I do not constantly monitor the stats. It's impossible for me to get any real results under Linux, they are always widely off.

Looking in AMD Ryzen Master I see I can set the upper limit or EDC if I get into overclocking.

thanks
Only way would be to lower it is to lower CPU usage or it's frequency but as I said it's not a problem to fret about.
If temps are good, don't worry about it/them.
You would loose some performance but you can also modify Power Saving Plan in Windows for maximum processor state to less than 100%.

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
S
Only way would be to lower it is to lower CPU usage or it's frequency but as I said it's not a problem to fret about.
If temps are good, don't worry about it/them.
You would loose some performance but you can also modify Power Saving Plan in Windows for maximum processor state to less than 100%.

Thanks, I feel alot better now. On other thing. At the same time EDC hits yellow PPT goes red. Am I ok? It says 97% of 88w. II keep think back to me having used used a thermal pad instead of paste. Despite not being a thermal problem would a quality paste help?

thanks

S

Thanks, I feel alot better now. On other thing. At the same time EDC hits yellow PPT goes red. Am I ok? It says 97% of 88w. II keep think back to me having used used a thermal pad instead of paste. Despite not being a thermal problem would a quality paste help?

thanks
Last reviews i have seen show quality paste to be better but not by much and since your temps are fine......

keef_ca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Last reviews i have seen show quality paste to be better but not by much and since your temps are fine......
Hopefully one last question. Would I expect much cooling difference between a Cooler Master RR-212S over a Thermaltake Contac Silent 12? I have the Thermaltake installed now however I have to chance to try a Cooler Master. Its pain to remove and install a new one. If its a little better performing that that is worth .it.

Its the Cooler Master Black Edition.

The yellow EDC freaked me out on my 2600x and asus rog strix x470 f gaming
When I first noticed it coming from a fx-8350.
After doing some searching and suggestions it was as Count Mike said earlier in the power plan.
Setting the minimum processor power state to 10 -20% should help it out.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS