CPU Failures Hurt Intel's Bottom Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Does it say CPUs specifically were the cause? I don't see it specify CPUs in what is quoted.

I do, however, know of a significant problem with their X710 10Gb CNA that cause significant problems early last year. Many of the X710 CNAs had a problem with stalling and corrupting data under heavy use, which rendered it useless for a product my company was working on at the time. We ended up going back to the X520 in order to get our product out because we couldn't trust the X710. I'm fairly certain that impacted their bottom line pretty well. My company at the time used returned about 300 of those X710s to Intel for them to analyze for the failures, which is no small change. (That was just the test phase, not production, or there would have been many more.)

3ogdy

Distinguished

" Intel replied that the failures are limited to the Intel Atom Processor C2000 product family, which is used primarily for storage and networking infrastructure."

dgingeri

Distinguished

Ah, didn't see that. Well, I'm fairly certain the X710 thing didn't help either.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Except AMD have no CPU vying for market share with Intel's Atom processors, like the ones this article states are affected.

slidai

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I've always had Intel chips. When I built my new gaming rig a couple of months ago, after a day of use, it crashed on start up over and over. Turns out it was the cpu.

nyannyan

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016

Actually, it's still possible it was a heat issue that was due to crappy heat transfer material. We know Intel's been cheaping out on that front.

I wasn't saying that I knew it was heat that caused their current problem, only that a lot of failures have been caused by heat regarding similar products in the past.

Besides, it's not often a CPU fails for reasons other than heat/overvoltage damage. Any fix/workaround could simply be a new stepping, a firmware/microcode change, request for BIOS updates, or anything like that to either slightly improve efficiency, cause slight throttling, or more.

If there was crashing or other issues that were repeatable, but not inherently damaging to the CPU, then I wouldn't suspect heat.

toesis

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
i wish they would use good thermal interface materials below the teh IHS "integrated heat spreader. i wouldn't recommend Intel's 7xxx series chips because of this

Status
Not open for further replies.