Question CPU fan and Pump fan ports on MSI motherboard ?

Sep 6, 2022
Hi all, I recently built a PC with an Arctic Liquid Freezer II AIO unit. The AIO has one 4-pin PWM plug that powers both the tiny pump fan and the two larger radiator fans (through daisy chained power cable). It is now connected to the CPU fan port on my motherboard (MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4.) The CPU temperature is running at normal. My question is: Would there be any advantage to unhook the fan power from the daisy-chain and connect them to the mobo's CPU fan port and pump fan port separately?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi all, I recently built a PC with an Arctic Liquid Freezer II AIO unit. The AIO has one 4-pin PWM plug that powers both the tiny pump fan and the two larger radiator fans (through daisy chained power cable). It is now connected to the CPU fan port on my motherboard (MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4.) The CPU temperature is running at normal. My question is: Would there be any advantage to unhook the fan power from the daisy-chain and connect them to the mobo's CPU fan port and pump fan port separately?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Leave it as it is, With that AIO pump speed is fixed at full speed wherever it's plugged in as it doesn't even report the speed. Only radiator fans can be regulated just make sure that BIOS recognizes them as PWM.

Reactions: mach2joe

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
As said above, what you have already is just fine. The way those items are wired, the Pump and the Rad Fans all are powered from the CPU_FAN header, and that is entirely OK from a load view. The Pump will always run full speed as intended, and the fan speeds will be controlled by the CPU_FAN header automatically according to the temperature inside the CPU chip.

In BIOS Setup the CPU_FAN header will show you a "fan speed" that actually is the PUMP speed, and it won't change much. You will not "see" the Rad Fan speeds anywhere, but that's OK. Those speed readings are NOT needed or used for speed control. The pump speed IS used for an important secondary function - monitoring that signal for possible FAILURE. No speed would cause a warning to pop up on your screen, and possibly more drastic action to shut down your system completely of there is no pump operation and hence no actual cooling of the CPU chip. For this protection system with an AIO system, ensuring proper operation of the PUMP is more inportant than of the Rad Fans, so this arrangement is ideal.

One small point. In BIOS Setup for that CPU_FAN header, IF you have a choice of whether the MODE setting is PWM or Voltage (aka DC) or Auto, set it to PWM Mode. That way the pump will receive full 12 VDC power and run at full speed as designed, while the Rad Fans will have their speed controlled.

Last edited:
Reactions: mach2joe