CPU fan connection

pbtxlady

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
....appears to have a short. This is an old system, 6 years old, Sandy Bridge. It's been overheating lately. I replaced the original Intel CPU fan/heatsink and upon watching the new fan, I realized it starts up and then stops, slows down, stops, starts. After initial start-up it never reaches very high velocity. Given that I was getting overheating with the old fan as well, I don't think it's the fan. I don't want to spend money on a replacement board for an old system. Is it possible to connect the new CPU fan to the "chassis fan" connection right next to the CPU fan connector? (5 case fans are running off PSU.) I realize that wouldn't stop the BIOS fan error, but I can still run despite that error as long as the CPU stays sufficiently cool to avoid overheat error. The board is an Asus LGA 1156.

pbtxlady

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
Thanks. I took your advice and tried that, and the fan is still not running fast enough (ranges from stop to 100 to 500). So now I'm thinking maybe it is the fan after all and not my motherboard. Trying another fan this afternoon to see. Thanks for your help.