[SOLVED] CPU Fan dead?

njitgrad

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
I have an Azrock Z77 mobo and my CPU fan is not spinning, either when I plug it into CPUFAN1 or CPUFAN2.
Is this a motherboard issue or a dead fan? How can I troubleshoot this? TIA.

Also, cannot access my BIOS on bootup even though I repeatedly hammer away on F10 and DEL.

Last edited:
Solution
First check BIOS fan profile settings for CPUFAN1 and CPUFAN2 and make sure they are set to 100% or +12V all the time.

When you attach the fans make sure you're properly engaging the fan header. It's OK to use three pin fans on a 4 pin header but use the correct pins. Try two at least, maybe three fans you know are good to rule out defective fans.

If the CPU fan headers are at max output and fans still don't work then the fan power output drivers could be burned out and you'll have to use a fan hub to control them. You'll have to find BIOS controls to disable CPU fan speed monitoring if it alarms all the time.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

New build or existing build where the CPU fan has simply stopped? Are the blades able to freely move - not stuck or otherwise jammed?

Any fan speed management software or related speed configuration settings?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Past history of heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Make, model information - CPU fan?

Do you have another known working CPU fan that you can swap in?

Or another known working computer in which to test the current fan?

Determine if the problem, follows the fan or stays with the current host computer.

First check BIOS fan profile settings for CPUFAN1 and CPUFAN2 and make sure they are set to 100% or +12V all the time.

When you attach the fans make sure you're properly engaging the fan header. It's OK to use three pin fans on a 4 pin header but use the correct pins. Try two at least, maybe three fans you know are good to rule out defective fans.

If the CPU fan headers are at max output and fans still don't work then the fan power output drivers could be burned out and you'll have to use a fan hub to control them. You'll have to find BIOS controls to disable CPU fan speed monitoring if it alarms all the time.

Solution

njitgrad

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

New build or existing build where the CPU fan has simply stopped? Are the blades able to freely move - not stuck or otherwise jammed?

Any fan speed management software or related speed configuration settings?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Past history of heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Make, model information - CPU fan?

Do you have another known working CPU fan that you can swap in?

Or another known working computer in which to test the current fan?

Determine if the problem, follows the fan or stays with the current host computer.

I finally got into the BIOS and noticed that CPU FAN 1 and CPU FAN 2 are both N/A. Does that mean my fan is dead?

I have the stock fan that came with the i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1155. It was working fine until recently.

What affordable options do I have?

Can I continue to use this PC in the mean time for basic applications? CPU temp in BIOS is 100C.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Can I continue to use this PC in the mean time for basic applications? CPU temp in BIOS is 100C "

No.

I would not use the PC for anything until the CPU existing fan is made to work or a replacement CPU fan is installed.

Hardware specs? PSU?

njitgrad

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
This:

"Can I continue to use this PC in the mean time for basic applications? CPU temp in BIOS is 100C "

No.

I would not use the PC for anything until the CPU existing fan is made to work or a replacement CPU fan is installed.

Hardware specs? PSU?
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155
Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1155
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1040 Ti SC 4GB GDDR5
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Mid Tower
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D 380W

njitgrad

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Could the malfunctioning CPU fan be the cause of the computer running slow lately? My son claims it's a hardware issue and I think it's a software issue. He loads all his crap on there and it drives me nuts. He refuses to let me reformat his system drive

Ralston18

Titan
Immediate flag: "Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D 380W"

380 Watts likely too low for the build. As a result the PSU may be beginning to falter and fail.

GPU alone recommends a minimum 300 watt PSU. (Note: double check the GPU model number and check recommended PSU specs.)

= = = =

High temps could be throttling CPU.

As a reference:

https://www.technipages.com/what-is-thermal-throttling

= = = =

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and event informational events that have been occurring starting before and since the fan problem began.

If he is running lots of apps, utilities, etc. to "improve" or "enhance" game play then buggy or corrupted software could be part of the issue.

You can use (just use one at time) either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

What resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

However you need to run the PC to do any of the above.

Look in Task Manager Startup to determine what all is being launched at startup. Try disabling any of the "crap" that is extra background to reduce the load on the CPU.

I am very much leaning towards a PSU problem. However there may be other ideas and suggestions.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I finally got into the BIOS and noticed that CPU FAN 1 and CPU FAN 2 are both N/A. Does that mean my fan is dead?

I have the stock fan that came with the i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1155. It was working fine until recently.

What affordable options do I have?

Can I continue to use this PC in the mean time for basic applications? CPU temp in BIOS is 100C.
100C the CPU is thermal throttling. Plug the CPU fan in a known working fan header, if it don't work replace the fan/cooler before using the PC again.