msziegler83

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I bought a used built PC for my daughters birthday. I got it home and everything was working fine. It needed a deep clean so I set it aside for a week or so. Last night I tried to boot it up and I got a CPU fan error. The CPU fan is working. In the bios it shows fan speed as N/A but will occasionally show it in the 20's for a few seconds and back to N/A. I tried another PMW fan and the same error happens. If I disable the CPU fan in bios it just boot loops. If I set the CPU fan to DC I get the same error. On a different platform some suggest that the DBMS (database management system) was deactivated and is willing to help me deactivate it for $30. I've never heard of this. Does anyone know of a different fix?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That sounds like a poor intermittent contact for the wire that carries the fan's speed signal back to the CPU_FAN header. (It is Pin #3.) Try this. With the system shut down, open the case. Reach in and disconnect that fan from the CPU_FAN header. Now plug it back in. Do this several times. This MAY "scrub" dirt and oxidation from the metal contacts in the connector and header pins. Make sure it is plugged back in securely and that you did not disturb other stuff. With the case open, start it up and verify that the CPU fan IS running normally. In fact, what should happen is that it starts up very fast right away, and then slows down after 5 to 15 seconds. Now check whether you are still getting the error message, then close up the case.

On a different platform some suggest that the DBMS (database management system) was deactivated and is willing to help me deactivate it for $30. I've never heard of this.
scam artists.
got a CPU fan error. The CPU fan is working. In the bios it shows fan speed as N/A but will occasionally show it in the 20's for a few seconds and back to N/A. I tried another PMW fan and the same error happens.
sounds like a damaged/malfunctioned motherboard, but can just be the CPU_FAN header's contact sensor.

you can clean the contact with isopropyl alcohol but be careful in the process.

msziegler83

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
This:

"On a different platform some suggest that the DBMS (database management system) was deactivated and is willing to help me deactivate it for $30."

Do not do that. Scam.
This was my thought as well. He even sent me a 15 sec clip of him s running the scan. The clip was a screen saver on youtube running on his laptop.