[SOLVED] CPU Fan goes full blast - then pc freezes and restarts

surendervi12

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
HI there

I'm currently in the process of troubleshooting a computer. When I first built it, the computer booted fine - I then decided to stress test the pc. Running Unigine Heaven the total system power consumption was at 250W. I then ran prime 95 and power consumption was around 170 W IIRC. I ran the test for 5 minutes before the computer suddenly froze and shutdown. I rebooted the pc and tried to run prime95 again looking at hwmonitor to see if anything was out of the ordinary. After another 5 minutes I saw smoke coming from either the center of the motherboard or the cpu so I shut the system off.

Now when I boot my pc, the fans suddenly go full blast after around 1 minute - I cannot boot into windows. I think that the cpu may be overheating or dying. I've reapplied some thermal paste to see if it helps but there has been no change.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Specs:

Motherboard: HP Z200 Workstation
CPU: Xeon x3450
Storage: 1 TB Hard Drive
Graphics: RX 470 Sapphire Nitro
Power Supply: 350 W Stock HP Z200 Power Supply

Solution
If magic smoke came out, you may want to have a close look at the motherboard and CPU to find out where it actually came from. If it really came from the CPU or motherboard, they are likely fried.

surendervi12

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
Pretty sure the PSU is fine - it ran the GPU fine at higher wattage - only ran into issues with prime95. Thanks for the responses poorbugger and InvalidError. I will probably look into getting another x3450 chip to see whether the motherboard is fried or the cpu then.

In the worst case scenario I can always get a Magic Smoke Refill.

surendervi12

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
Smoke came out? That's never a good sign. The psu or the cpu might be dead at that point. The fans continued running or it just start running off full blast for a moment and the pc goes dead?

Yes, the fan went full blast for like 5 seconds and then the pc goes dead and tries to reboot. The load on the meter also increases by around 40 W once then fans start up - not sure if that helps.