CPU fan is insanely loud?

Dec 3, 2018
The damn CPU fan(and I am positive that it's the CPU fan that's making the noises as I opened up the case and messed with the fan settings in the BIOS to confirm) likes to go up and down in volume very frequently at times when I barely have any programs opened.

sometimes the CPU usage for programs I run shoots up and down by itself for some reason thus increasing the speed of the fan.

My temperatures are at a stable 36c.
I have set the CPU fan in the BIOS to perform minimum work recently but it did not work. The only time it is at tolerable volume is when I have nothing running on the pc. It really starts to get loud even at just 30% usage, is that normal?

The only game I play is freaking RuneScape which doesn't require a lot of usage in the first place but it keeps cranking itself up.

I'd appreciate any advice

edit: I have an i7-4790 Intel

Solution
okay stock fans tend to be quite load anyways so when the cpu heats up the fan goes to 100 percent to cool it. you say your temps are 36c under load that seems abit low for a stock cooler even while playing a game like runescape i would download HWmonitor and see what temps your getting if its getting hot then it maybe worth investing in a aftermarket air cooler
Dec 3, 2018

Its not squeaking noises or anything like that just the fan getting louder you can hear it accelerate and decelerate as the cpu usage fluctuates constantly(for whatever reason) and yes it is a stock fan

rigger922

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
okay stock fans tend to be quite load anyways so when the cpu heats up the fan goes to 100 percent to cool it. you say your temps are 36c under load that seems abit low for a stock cooler even while playing a game like runescape i would download HWmonitor and see what temps your getting if its getting hot then it maybe worth investing in a aftermarket air cooler

Solution
Dec 3, 2018

I made a mistake, the 36c was my gpu temp not cpu. Ive checked with 'Coretemp' on the actualy temp and ya it actually gets real hot up to 90 degrees fluctuating from 78 and up. I guess Id have to invest on an aftermarket cooler as you said but how much a difference can it make and would you recommend one for this particular cpu?

Dec 3, 2018

Thank you for your time and advice, I really appreciate this

rigger922

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018

Your welcome anytime Good luck