CPU fan not spinning, computer does boot

Cspangler11

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Hello everyone. I just built my first computer and everything went smoothly except for the cpu fan. It isn't spinning.

When I power on the case, the fan turns slightly for a second and then doesn't move. The same process is repeated when the computer is powered down.

My motherboard is a Msi z97 gaming 5. Psu is 600 watts and properly powers the rest of the computer.

The board explorer says the cpu port is disconnected. The temperature of the cpu works.

I've plugged into cpu 1 and 2 with no luck. I've also used two different brand new phones in both sockets and neither worked.

Please help me!!!

Cspangler11

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

Yes, I have turned both cpu 1/2 fans to manual 100% power. Right now they are currently on smart fan.

I only have 4 out of 9 standoffs in because 4 is all the case came with at the moment. Could that cause it? Or could I plug the CPU fan into a system fan plug?

Cspangler11

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

So just unplug everything except power wires and fans? Could I leave graphics cards and LAN adapters?

Also, could my standoff issue posted above case a short capable of doing this?

Cspangler11

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

I just plugged in the stock cpu fan from Intel and it works. I'm assuming newegg just shipped me a faulty cpu fan.

Cspangler11

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015

Unfortunately I don't. Is there another way of testing the fan? I'm going to go to the local computer shop tomorrow and see if they have anything of the sort. I wouldn't bet on it though