Question CPU fan running loud ?

Apr 24, 2024
CPU Fan RPM question

I recently built my daughter a PC for light gaming (WoW classic WOTLK). We tested it out the other night and it ran flawlessly at 60 FPS, I was on my PC and the gameplay was loud enough that from across the room I never noticed any loud fan noise from her PC. This evening I booted her PC up to test it out myself and noticed the CPU fan ran loud at the startup and every once in awhile would rev up while running idle.

I launched WoW to make sure it was still handling everything smoothly and there are no issues with gameplay but continued to hear the CPU fan ramp up and get as high as 4300 rpm while consistently running around 2300-2600 rpm in the MSI Center. CPU temps and everything appear okay there, the CPU fan RPM seems to be high so took a few pics of the temps and usage on the MSI center. My PC is in a much larger case and has more case fans inside of it, I’ve never heard it run the way this is with the cpu fan going manic from time to time.

The specs in her PC are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x 6core Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Mobo: MSI A520M-A Pro micro atx
16 GB ram
PSU: Power Spec 650 watt Bronze atx

I put this together in a Micro atx tower, it’s a tiny case but I don’t believe that has anything to do with what’s going on. Doesn’t this CPU rpm seem very high for the small amount of stress being put on it? If so I assume this either has something to do with the heat sink/thermal paste on the cpu (which was applied fresh a few weeks ago) or it’s some kind of BIOS settings issue. I haven’t messed with the CPU yet because I wasn’t sure if this is really an issue or if it’s a BIOS issue.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0beEbPacoOLxIfGeO9NY5zqpAThe rpm’s got this high without the game on as well and once peaked at 4300 and the screen flickered black and then returned to normal instantly (only time I’ve seen this happen). If any more info is needed just let me know I appreciate any feedback.

Colif

Win 11 Master
CPU fan ran loud at the startup and every once in awhile would rev up while running idle.
Start up is a stressfull time for PC, it has to load everything. Its pretty normal for PC fans to run fast here. It is when I get the hottest temps on my CPU for the entire day. Cooling has to start from scratch as well, its playing catch up with the CPU. It will stop once the CPU stopped loading everything and temps drop to normal. All the fans in my PC go nuts at startup until my fan control software takes over and slows them down.

is this your 1st Ryzen system? Its normal behaviour for Ryzen to ramp up a Fan/CPU core to run a process and then it rushes it back to idle again. You just have to adjust to it. Could look at the fan curve and adjust it so fan isn't as reactive to temp changes.

I wonder what sensor the Motherboard uses to track temps... cores or package. package temps move a lot more so probably them. It wouldn't interrupt CPU to ask its temp constantly... package temp often 10c warmer than core average is. I use avg core temps to set my AIO fan temps. Less reactive.

Last edited:
And... what is your problem?

If it is noise, you may need a cooler with larger/slower turning fans.

What is the make/model of your case and what is the fan configuration?

A case needs to be able to provide the cpo cooler with sufficient cool air to let it do it's job.

Apr 24, 2024

A case needs to be able to provide the cpo cooler with sufficient cool air to let it do it's job.
I dont know if there is a problem, that’s why I’m asking. The rpm’s the fan was registering didn’t seem to match up with the temp my cpu was reaching. I don’t feel like the fan was over working to keep the cpu cool because the cpu temp wasn’t getting that high. I just didn’t know if I should adjust any cpu fan settings or just leave it be if there’s no performance issues.

Apr 24, 2024
Start up is a stressfull time for PC, it has to load everything. Its pretty normal for PC fans to run fast here. It is when I get the hottest temps on my CPU for the entire day. Cooling has to start from scratch as well, its playing catch up with the CPU. It will stop once the CPU stopped loading everything and temps drop to normal. All the fans in my PC go nuts at startup until my fan control software takes over and slows them down.

is this your 1st Ryzen system? Its normal behaviour for Ryzen to ramp up a Fan/CPU core to run a process and then it rushes it back to idle again. You just have to adjust to it. Could look at the fan curve and adjust it so fan isn't as reactive to temp changes.

I wonder what sensor the Motherboard uses to track temps... cores or package. package temps move a lot more so probably them. It wouldn't interrupt CPU to ask its temp constantly... package temp often 10c warmer than core average is. I use avg core temps to set my AIO fan temps. Less reactive.
Yes this is my first Ryzen so it’s quite possible this is just something I’m not used to. I understand the fans run faster on startup but these spikes were happening last night after the PC had been on for half an hour and was sitting idle. I turned the PC over on its side today and the cpu fan rpm’s ran much lower around 1600-1800 and wasn’t spiking like last night it just felt like the system was stressed for no reason last night. Maybe turning it over changed the air flow I’m not sure…as long as this isnt overly concerning I will just leave it be.

Apr 24, 2024
If there are no performance issues, and the fan noise is not bothersome, leave it be.

Modern processors are designed to run hot.
Okay. I just had issues getting this PC running properly (had a bad GPU) so it’s just me being slightly paranoid that there’s an issue.

Apr 24, 2024

https://a.co/d/eu2xc1F

This is the case, it has a case fan right below the PSU, it’s a very small case but again WoW classic isn’t a demanding game. The 1060 3GB GPU is very small so honestly there is room to add one more case fan behind it if I wanted. I’m going to get on it more tonight and see if it keeps running as smooth as it did this morning. I don’t know anything about rpm’s for a cpu fan but 3600-4000 rpm just scared me last night that there was some deeper issue

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Apr 24, 2024
Normal for Wraith coolers to spin up and get loud. Their fans are fairly small. Ryzens will have bursts in temp due to turbo design, thus the bursty fan speeds. Doesn’t necessarily indicate a problem.

Wraiths are pretty good coolers for what they are, but an aftermarket cooler with bigger fan will be quieter.
Good to hear that. I don’t mind it being loud was just going to troubleshoot if there was an issue

Colif

Win 11 Master

easiest way to track temps
df51YhJ.jpg

cores/package/Nvme/GPU (Bold Nvme temp isn't hwinfo)

you just have to adjust to how ryzen works. Its different to Intel in that regard. I was the same when I got a 3600x 4 years ago, but if you use hwinfo to track temps and only really take notice of cores, its really not so bad. You get used to it. I find my 5800x3d is less likely to cause aio fans to respond now.

Last edited: