CPU Fan Speed 1900 and CPU Temp 50c Just from bios! Help!

v0xeh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hello everyone these are my specs:

CPU : AMD FX 6300
Motherboard : M5A97 R2.0
GPU: Zotac GTX 770 4GB
Case : Fractal Design Refine R4
PSU : SeaSonic 80+ 620W Bronze Certified ATX
G.Skill Ares Series 8GB

I have just finished my first build and everytime i load it it says CPU Fan Error near the bottom left.

When i open up the bios and check the monitoring tab it says my CPU RPM is at 1700-1900 and I don't see a way to change it in the manual.

It also says that my pc temperature is around 50c (122F) when i literally just try to run the BIOS.

I really need help because i have no idea what to do. :/

Solution
51C is not normal. A stock cooler just thrown on there would give you lower temperatures.

I suggest reapplying the thermal paste and reseating the heatsink.

v0xeh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/enermax-cpu-cooler-etst40tb

Yeah i made sure the fan is plugged in to the right slot, in my case the middle of 3.

I dont have a modular PSU so its kind of tight, but the fractal is a big case and there is no wires near the back chasis or the CPU.

I used the bottomd drive cage bay to store the rest of the wires, it was my first build so its not the best work but nothing is getting in the way of anything as far as i can see.

What do the temperatures say when you get on desktop? In my bios, the temperatures are usually higher than what I have when I'm on my desktop.

As for the fan RPM, it's a bit higher than what's specified, so I imagine your fan is working fine.

v0xeh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Woah woah wait wait, is it normal for the fan to be spinning that fast because its aftermarket?

and when im on this desktop doing nothing (which has a considerably worse GPU and CPU, i get 58c just from browing the web.

I am just afraid that ill ignore it and then while im playing a game its gonna overheat and fry the component and im going to be screwed.

I need to know if something is wrong, or having 51C is just a normal temp for a somewhat budget build with only a front/back and aftermarket CPU fan.

v0xeh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Thanks for your help, Is seating it the part about tightening the bracket under the motherboard, or tighting the heatsink to the bracket?

Well.. It should be firm enough to be on there and not seem loose, but not too firm to the point where you can't unscrew it. I'm more worried about the thermal paste part. If feel the need to buy a different thermal paste, then go with arctic silver.

v0xeh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Afff it seems like the CPU has become the biggest problem X_X.

Also unless i misread, is 1900rpm for that fan too much?

v0xeh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Alright well thanks for all of your help! Got any suggestions for cleaning off the thermal paste?

Reading some guides would probably do you more help than what I can say. But, have rubbing alcohol and something to wipe off the thermal paste around, and clean both the bottom of the heatsink and the cpu itself.

When you're ready to reapply the thermal paste, make a dot in the middle the size of a bout a pea or something and just use the heatsink to push it down and spread it.