[SOLVED] CPU fan speed detection error

erix09

Reputable
Nov 6, 2018
I had a new CPU, mobo, and liquid cpu cooler installed and on the reboot during the Windows install I received this error on startup. I am using the Corsair 100i Elite LCD with the 12700k. I exited bios to ignore the error for now.

What should I do to fix this?

Solution
All aios use a 4pin to the cpu_fan header. It's basically a requirement set by the cpu. If the cpu thinks it has no cooling provided, it'll tap that warning error, and if ignored possibly shut down. There is a bypass in bios to disable that warning, but that's never advised to use, the cpu uses that to protect itself and you from possible damage.

That cpu_fan header should always be populated by something, doesn't matter if it's the pump or a fan, just something with rpm ability, or you'll get that warning. If the pump is populating an aio/pump header instead, then the fans should be on cpu_fan. If the fans are pump/Sata powered, use the cpu_fan header for the pump, not the aio/pump header.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All aios use a 4pin to the cpu_fan header. It's basically a requirement set by the cpu. If the cpu thinks it has no cooling provided, it'll tap that warning error, and if ignored possibly shut down. There is a bypass in bios to disable that warning, but that's never advised to use, the cpu uses that to protect itself and you from possible damage.

That cpu_fan header should always be populated by something, doesn't matter if it's the pump or a fan, just something with rpm ability, or you'll get that warning. If the pump is populating an aio/pump header instead, then the fans should be on cpu_fan. If the fans are pump/Sata powered, use the cpu_fan header for the pump, not the aio/pump header.

Reactions: erix09
Solution

erix09

Reputable
Nov 6, 2018
I see the possible issue. There is a hub taped to the back of the mobo which has cables from the fan and cpu unit connected to it. There is one single 4 pin connector from that going to a USB header at the bottom of the board. this cable should go to the cpu fan header at top?

erix09

Reputable
Nov 6, 2018
Connect AIO pump to AIO_PUMP header on motherboard.
Connect radiator fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT fan headers.
Check motherboard user manual.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-a-gaming-wifi-d4-model/helpdesk_manual
It's an RGB hub. One side of hub is for RGB , the other for fans. The two cables connected to fans can go to the cpu fan and opt cpu fan headers. Does it matter which is which.? One is from each end of radiator.

Edit: can confirm cpu unit is connected to AIO header.

erix09

Reputable
Nov 6, 2018
It's an RGB hub. One side of hub is for RGB , the other for fans. The two cables connected to fans can go to the cpu fan and opt cpu fan headers. Does it matter which is which.? One is from each end of radiator.

Edit: can confirm cpu unit is connected to AIO header.

I left the HUB there for the RGB cables, but took out the 2 fan connections in the hub from the radiator and connected them to the CPU fan and opt fan headers. As to my final question, I connected the cable from the end closest to the hoses to the main cpu header and the other to the optional header. On boot, no error. Please advise if I have done wrong.

I would have expected the technician to know better.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A hub is nothing more than a hardware splitter. Uses a single input and splits it to multiple outputs. Can be of use for rads with upto 6 fans in push/pull to keep them all aligned, which is near impossible using seperate headers as those headers are controlled by different sensors in different places, so have different temp readings.

But with different zones (input, output, rad fans etc) you'll want different headers just for that reason. The fan curves for input fans will be different than exhaust and cpu temps. Motherboard temps will usually be in the 40's to 50's and cpu temps at 60+. So a hub is near useless for that.

But many mATX/mITX motherboards only have 2-3 fan hubs, so accommodations are made with splitters/hubs, especially if using multiple fans and liquid cooling.

Just because it's there doesn't mean it has to be used, but paid builders often will just to not receive complaints from customers who say things like 'I paid extra for a case with a fan hub, but you didn't use it, so I did' etc.

TRENDING THREADS