[SOLVED] CPU fan spinning, not cooling

Aug 4, 2022
Hi,

I have recently bought a i5 12500 box and I would make a list of issues and events that happened so maybe you could help me:

- CPU temp is 50-60 degrees in idle and goes to 100 in a couple minutes in any app or game that uses the cpu 100%; CPU fan is spinning at max
-mounted and unmounted cooler multiple times to be sure it sits correctly as in the manual
-checked if the pre-applied thermal paste is still there and used my own thermal paste as well afterwards
-sent the box in warranty, came back with no issues detected, so I bought an aftermarket cooler SilentiumPC Spartan 5 Max
-same issue, goes even faster at 100 degrees, I can assure it's mounted correctly, came with pre-applied paste; spinning at max.

I don't know what to do, I am literally out of ideas. This is not the first pc I'm assembling, been doin this since 14 and this never happened. Case has proper airflow and everything is set up accordingly.

Solution
Coolers are simple devices and cool based on basic physics. If there's no pump involved and a stock cooler isn't cooling a stock CPU well, then there's usually something wrong with the assembly at some point whether it's lack of thermal paste, bad fan configuration, bad mount, etc.

Also, if you don't want trouble long-term, get rid of that PSU. nJoy is notorious for selling junk PSUs with fake badges to countries in the Balkans and Romania.
Aug 4, 2022
Hello, here are my specs:

CPU: i5 12500 (Stock Cooler & SilentiumPC Spartan 5 Max)
Mobo: Gigabyte H610M S2H DDR4
Ram: ADATA XPG 2x8 GB DDR4 3200Mhz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 4GB
PSU: nJOy Titan 650W 80 Plus Bronze
SSD: Samsung 980 500 GB M2 and Kingston A400 250GB Sata
Case: Deepcool Tesseract BF black

Bios version: F7
Bios date: 06/28/2022

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
Can you check your fan settings in the BIOS? Like your fan curve or are they not that controllable?

Sometimes you can set your fans to be full beans all the time and maybe that's what happened to you.

I am not sure why your CPU is pinned at 1%

Aug 4, 2022
I've checked the fan curves and tried different curves, but I've already stated both CPU coolers are spinning at max, however there's not enough heat that the case fans will also go wild. On the contrary, I only feel cold air dissipating from the cpu coolers and the heatsinks are cold.

Aug 3, 2022
so what does task manager show running?

That screen print appears to show a low CPU max temp?
rather than showing it working and hot?

What power plan you using? High?
Try balanced
if custom check the CPU settings

Aug 4, 2022
Yea on the power plan note, I've just discovered as well that balanced gives me normal clock speeds, but once it gets fired up at 100% load, same temperatures. The screenshot is not too relevant for anything else, but during Cinebench or demanding games it gets to 100 degrees and it lowers its clock speeds to about 3.4Ghz so it doesn't go over cap.

DSzymborski

Titan
Coolers are simple devices and cool based on basic physics. If there's no pump involved and a stock cooler isn't cooling a stock CPU well, then there's usually something wrong with the assembly at some point whether it's lack of thermal paste, bad fan configuration, bad mount, etc.

Also, if you don't want trouble long-term, get rid of that PSU. nJoy is notorious for selling junk PSUs with fake badges to countries in the Balkans and Romania.

Reactions: CompuGuy71
Solution
Aug 3, 2022
true - but the two diff coolers seems to put that into question.

Next step might be borrow a different CPU ...

I've checked the fan curves and tried different curves, but I've already stated both CPU coolers are spinning at max, however there's not enough heat that the case fans will also go wild. On the contrary, I only feel cold air dissipating from the cpu coolers and the heatsinks are cold.

which indicates the reported temps are wrong - yet the cpu is throttling you say ...

cpu or board reporting temps wrong ...?
(leave you to think through which I'm feeling a bit tired - feed back your test/thoughts please)

Aug 4, 2022
I will have to admit that I got the installation faulty and I did not see a lateral screw on the Spartan 5 Max, it only had 2 clips on each side which made perfect sense and I thought that's it. But one lateral screw actually brought the cooler closer to the CPU, even though it was steady as hell with the screw loose. Easy to miss when you work inside the case and with the huge GPU nearby. My max temperatures went down to 60 degrees after a full 10 minutes of running Cinebench. However I'm still confused if the stock cooler is broken or not, I couldn't have missed that installation too, but who knows I might be clumsy like that. Thank you guys for every answer!

DSzymborski

Titan
I will have to admit that I got the installation faulty and I did not see a lateral screw on the Spartan 5 Max, it only had 2 clips on each side which made perfect sense and I thought that's it. But one lateral screw actually brought the cooler closer to the CPU, even though it was steady as hell with the screw loose. Easy to miss when you work inside the case and with the huge GPU nearby. My max temperatures went down to 60 degrees after a full 10 minutes of running Cinebench. However I'm still confused if the stock cooler is broken or not, I couldn't have missed that installation too, but who knows I might be clumsy like that. Thank you guys for every answer!

Better a faulty installation than something that costs you real money!

Reactions: JPor

DSzymborski

Titan
Better a faulty installation than something that costs you real money!

Also, for future reference, you it's generally less of a hassle installing the cooler when the motherboard is still out of the case. Generally the approach I take is to place the motherboard on the box, install the CPU, cooler, RAM, OS drive, and the motherboard side of the power cables, and then install the GPU if necessary to see if it POSTs correctly. Then, I remove the GPU, install the motherboard and thread the cables, and then thread the cables and I'm done. This way, everything is accessible and I know I've got a working first boot. This is a common strategy on builds.