Tibo98

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Setup:
Asus PRIME B450-PLUS B450
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
D416GB 3200-16 Vengeance LPX K2 COR
CooMas MWE 650 Gold FM 650W ATX24

Newly bought components, CPU fan spins for half a second and then stops and I also don't get a display (so I cant enter BIOS). Lights on motherboard do turn on and GPU fans work.

Can someone give me some insight on what to do in order to fix this.

Solution
It looks like a short. Make sure that case fans are connected to either board, or power supply, not to both; check the case front panel connections; check the standoffs to not short the board.
After solving that, make sure that the board's BIOS does support the CPU.
It looks like a short. Make sure that case fans are connected to either board, or power supply, not to both; check the case front panel connections; check the standoffs to not short the board.

Solution

Tibo98

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
The case fans have no problem spinning, It's the CPU cooler/fan. At the moment it is not connected to the case except for the power button to easily turn it on.
Also when disconnecting the CPU power supply the CPU fan does spin.

Last edited:

Tibo98

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
What CPU cooler using? What happens if connecting the CPU cooler to a case fan header and a case fan to the CPU fan header?
I'm using a Noctua NH-D9L, Premium CPU Kühler mit NF-A9 92mm Lüfter (Braun)
when connecting the noctua to a chassis fan connector and the case fan to the cpu fan connector they both work. However I still dont get a display.

Tibo98

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Asus PRIME B450-PLUS B450
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 4, 4GHz AM4 36MB Cache Wraith Prism
MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC
D416GB 3200-16 Vengeance LPX K2 COR
CooMas MWE 650 Gold FM 650W ATX24
Noctua NH-D9L, Premium CPU Kühler mit NF-A9 92mm Lüfter (Braun)
SSD 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 500GB

Tibo98

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
What video cable using? Have you connected it to graphics card, not to motherboard?
I'm using HDMI and have tested the screen on another computer to make sure it works. I've connected it to the graphic card (which I also tested in another pc and works) and I've also connected it to the motherboard, both without result.

Jan 8, 2020
I have the exact same issue, with a Asus Prime x470 Pro , cpu spins for half a second and stops
other rgb & gpu fans keep spinning.

The orange "AMD Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready" sticker would make me think the bios is updated ? or does it mean it can be made ready (via update) it's up for discussion...

i'm testing on a bench so no shorting possible @Tibo : were you able to fix it ?

Tibo98

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
I have the exact same issue, with a Asus Prime x470 Pro , cpu spins for half a second and stops
other rgb & gpu fans keep spinning.

The orange "AMD Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready" sticker would make me think the bios is updated ? or does it mean it can be made ready (via update) it's up for discussion...

i'm testing on a bench so no shorting possible @Tibo : were you able to fix it ?
Yes, I was able to fix it. The BIOS sadly needs to be updated in order for it to work.

Jan 8, 2020
@Tibo ! Thanks for answering so quickly, so the orange sticker doesn't mean the board has been updated with a compatible bios ? (when I google it a lot of people say "yes, that is what it means" , but my theory was that the board itself is ready for ryzen 3000 IF you have a correct bios.)

I have ordered a Ryzen 1300x from Amazon to do the upgrade... Here is hoping that this is also the issue with my board and not a faulty part...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.