[SOLVED] CPU Fan Tab Broken…

Oct 9, 2021
The tab on my CPU Fan header broke off. Since I am not in the position to run off and buy a new motherboard at this time, is there a way to fix it so that it will reasonably hold my Corsair AIO CPU fan connection in place or could I use the CPU Fan Opt with a change or 2 in the BIOS?

Solution
The tab on my CPU Fan header broke off.
you can just tape it in place.
either attach both sides of the plastic connector to both sides of the header separately.
or have a single piece of tape between the wires attached at both sides of the header.
duct tape usually holds the best like this but it can leave residue on the board.
if you've got a glass panel and care about aesthetics you can get some black duct tape.

it's possible that you can only use the CPU_OPT header since it follows the CPU_FAN instructions.
but not having a reading from the CPU_FAN header will cause some systems to refuse to boot.
you can see if your BIOS offers an "ignore CPU fan error" option.
The tab on my CPU Fan header broke off.
you can just tape it in place.
either attach both sides of the plastic connector to both sides of the header separately.
or have a single piece of tape between the wires attached at both sides of the header.
duct tape usually holds the best like this but it can leave residue on the board.
if you've got a glass panel and care about aesthetics you can get some black duct tape.

it's possible that you can only use the CPU_OPT header since it follows the CPU_FAN instructions.
but not having a reading from the CPU_FAN header will cause some systems to refuse to boot.
you can see if your BIOS offers an "ignore CPU fan error" option.

Last edited:
Solution