[SOLVED] CPU fan very noisy and PC takes ages to boot up

laurencewithau

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
Hi everyone. I have a self-build Windows 10 PC. Here is a list of components.

My problem is that the CPU fan makes a loud whirring noise on start up and the PC takes ages to boot up even after the fan has gone quiet. Perhaps 5 to 10 minutes or longer, during which time a dotted circle turns on the screen below the Windows logo. My worry is that the pc will stop working altogether. Should I buy a new fan? Thanks for your help.

Solution
Check what mode that sata ssd is running in...

Hi SamirD. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I was ill but am better now. I replaced the existing CPU cooler with the pro version. Quite a job installing it but it's very quiet and I'm glad I bought it. I don't know how to check the sata mode. Thanks again, Laurence

laurencewithau

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
Dark Rock Pro 4 may better suited for your CPU but doesn't explain the lengthy startup. Maybe preallocate a pagefile rather than allowing Windows to dynamically do it? And check cpu temps and if you've removed the protective film

Hi Mr Spock. Sorry about the delayed reply. I've been ill but am better now. I took your advice and bought the pro version. It's much bigger than the one it replaces and it was hard to install because the Corsair Vengeance was in the way. The fan was sitting on top of one of the two memory modules. In the end I managed to lift the fan up by adjusting the spring clips. This created a tiny gap but enough to do the job. The fan is no longer sitting on the module. The cooler works per4fectly and is quite silent. Thanks again. Laurence

laurencewithau

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
Check what mode that sata ssd is running in...

Hi SamirD. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I was ill but am better now. I replaced the existing CPU cooler with the pro version. Quite a job installing it but it's very quiet and I'm glad I bought it. I don't know how to check the sata mode. Thanks again, Laurence

Solution
Glad to hear you are better. :)

You can check the sata mode in the bios. If it's not in AHCI mode it would be slower for sure.

Reactions: laurencewithau
super, good to hear you're back on your feet. let us know if the startup is still laggy
Hi Mr Spock. Sorry about the delayed reply. I've been ill but am better now. I took your advice and bought the pro version. It's much bigger than the one it replaces and it was hard to install because the Corsair Vengeance was in the way. The fan was sitting on top of one of the two memory modules. In the end I managed to lift the fan up by adjusting the spring clips. This created a tiny gap but enough to do the job. The fan is no longer sitting on the module. The cooler works per4fectly and is quite silent. Thanks again. Laurence