CPU for arhitectural work and amateur video rendering?

Jan 24, 2019
So my current set up is and Asrock Z87 Extreme4 motherboard, i7-4790K CPU, GTX 1080 TI, 16 GB DDR3... Most of my work load is comprised of rendering 3D models in architectural programs, but I also do some amateur video editing.
What would be an optimal CPU that is like mid to high tier that could last me about 4-5 years without the need to do an upgrade?
I do play games on the side, but those are not my focus point.

Thank you

On those needs it depends on what software you're using.

Take care on the motherboard socket. AMD's Ryzen uses AM4, but different chipsets may offer different out of the box support for newer CPUs. The BIOS can be updated to make them work, but this requires an already compatible CPU.

Intel's socket is currently LGA 1151. But there are even more chipsets straddling several generations of their Core CPUs. The latest motherboard chipsets don't support the earliest CPUs for the socket.

And no, AMD CPUs won't work on Intel CPU compatible motherboards and vice versa.

Jan 24, 2019
Is there a way that I can buy a new motherboard and leave my CPU in the new socket? so that later down the line i can upgrade that too?

It's a problem of money, becuas if i cange one thing, I have to change all except the GPU :(

Unfortunately in your case the only advantageous upgrades would be the core components of CPU, RAM and motherboard. Your i7-4790k is already the best available for the motherboard, and it can't be used with a newer chipset motherboard. Given the general slow nature of software development, especially when it's content orientated (as far as I'm concerned), I would have expected your CPU to still be quite capable.

It's possible to switch to a newer platform for a modest budget, perhaps getting a lower CPU for the time being and upgrade the CPU to a more powerful one later. Problem is this likely means your current system actually outperforms it until the better CPU is installed.

Is your current system really performing that badly at the moment?

Jan 24, 2019
My Pc is actually pretty ok atm... but I'm doing really intensive work, so and upgrade is needed... Not right now, but in the next 3-6months I should buy... The main problem in the end is memory. It's DDR3 and where I live there are almost non to buy with a decent speed and just jaking up to 32gb is not worth with ddr3 in my opinion

RAM is one of those things which isn't a problem until you run out of it. At least that's the way I see it.

I think winks42 is correct in their assessment of potential CPUs to upgrade to (and the relevant motherboard to support it). They're the ones to look at for actual performance gains over what you have.

The leaks of the next Ryzens suggest something really impressive, but we'd need the benchmarks to confirm it. I believe we're looking at May for any solid information. At the very least, if it's as impressive as leaks suggest it may force Intel to change pricing strategy.

I would also suggest checking out whether anyone has run benchmarks for the software you use (or intend to use). Reason being that some software are still rather limited in taking advantage of the number of cores and threads the newer CPUs offer. If the software scales well, then Ryzen should be a very strong contender for consideration. If it doesn't, then the likelihood is it is reliant more on IPC which tends to be Intel's advantage (whether the Ryzen 3000 series will change that we'll have to wait and see).

Supposedly RAM prices should drop this year. And it does seem a waste to purchase DDR3 now for possibly negligible performance gains.

Best to save up for the new platform overall, I think, to ensure the sort of performance you need when you make the switch and use for a few years to come.

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you all for the advice, really helps a lot... Most likely I will wait for the new Ryzen to drop to see How the prices go and the performance! of the new CPU.
Thank you all again!